G'day

We welcome new members and encourage your participation in this forum . Please post a message here to introduce yourselves.
sahunter

G'day

Post by sahunter »

G'day - found this site googling for bbq recipes!!!

Love a good barbie, few tinnies, and a few good yarns.
Lately I've been trying my hand at smoking meat ( not very well I might add ). I do plan to eventually make my own smoker. At the moment I am using a metho smoker on top of a small butane gas cooker.

I guess I am really interested in smoking, and getting a few tips, as well as some good bbq recipes.

Good to see an Aussie site doing this too!!
titch

Re: G'day

Post by titch »

Welcome to the forum
Cheers
Titch
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Welcome sahunter,

Yep..lots to check out here, well over 8 years of BBQing in this forum.

I can't say I've heard of a metho smoker, I know you can get metho burners like they use in hiking such as the Trangia cooking kit but never heard about a smoker.

Anyway, Hope you enjoy your time here mate

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

Welcome,
A metho smoker is a hot fish smoker, generally You hot smoke the fish for 12 minutes. The metho burner normally burns for that length of time. This was the system that biased my tool box smoker on many yeas ago. It is still going strong. Placing it over a portable camping burner is the best way. If you do chicken pieces on it, make sure you brine the chicken first, then smoke for about 30 minutes then sea them on a traditional BBQ grill. That way you get the seared BBQ flavour and the smoke flavour.
I make my sawdust on my wood lathe. I use a lot of Ti Tree.

Captain
Last edited by Captain Cook on Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lockyer

Post by lockyer »

Welcome SAhunter

I purchased a ProQ smoker a few months back and have tried a few cook ups in it, you have found the right place for helpful friendly advised and plenty of laughs - look forward to seeing some of your cook ups.

Cheers L
sahunter

Post by sahunter »

G'day, and thanks for the welcome - yes, a lot of threads to go through - but lots of great advice too.