Greetings All

We welcome new members and encourage your participation in this forum . Please post a message here to introduce yourselves.
n00bbq

Greetings All

Post by n00bbq »

Hi All,

Firstly I'm a bit of a BBQ novice other than eating it however I've just recently moved into a new house and have a decent entertaining area so can finally get started on some grilling and bbq.

I'm planning on getting a gas grill for day to day grilling and a kettle or smoker down the track for BBQ (I.e Brisket, Ribs, Pulled Pork etc).

Wondering if anyone can give me some assistance/advice on getting my new grill. I only want to spend around $1000 +/- on the grill but the other half has vetoed Weber Q series as she doesn't think they are big enough and hates the look of them.... So my question is what are my other options? I don't really like the idea of the glass panels on things like beef eaters as I imagine they'd be impossible to keep clean... Weber spirit and genisis look small for the money. Are they as good as the "Qs" and my best option or is there something more suitable?

Looking forward to any assistance.

Cheers.
lockyer

Re: Greetings All

Post by lockyer »

Welcome n00bbq

You have come to the best place for friendly advise and assistance, I cannot help with the gas cooker but can say good things about the Pro Q smoker. I'm sure a few of the members will be along with there thoughts and suggestions - look forward to seeing some of your cook up's.

Cheers L
n00bbq

Post by n00bbq »

Thanks for the reply. Is that the model that is $250 at barbeques galore at the moment? Good to hear there is decent ones avail at a very reasonable price point!
lockyer

Post by lockyer »

n00bbq wrote:Thanks for the reply. Is that the model that is $250 at barbeques galore at the moment? Good to hear there is decent ones avail at a very reasonable price point!
Oh yes that is the one.... :shock: Please don't tell my misses, as we paid full $$$ about 4 months back....!!! :x

Cheers L
Grunter

Post by Grunter »

Tell your other half not to worry about the perceived small size. The Q cooks so quickly you can cook a heap of stuff very quickly.

I only have a Baby Q and catered for 8 people the other day. Chicken kebabs, steak and sausages for 8, plus leftovers, all cooked in less than 30 minutes, plus 10 minutes warm up time. It wouldn't have been much quicker with our old 4 burner.

Purchased four weeks ago, we have used it most days, including roasting chickens, roast beef and pork, all done to perfection.
n00bbq

Post by n00bbq »

Thanks Grunter. I know in the end everyone gets a Weber but I'm a slow learner. We just couldn't see how we could cook everything we wanted on the Q.

We've ended up with a Char-broil Infrared so will see how that goes. Seems to be about 60/40 love/hate from people that own one. Hopefully I end up in the 60 camp
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

While there's a strong lean towards the Weber Products here, it doesn't mean that it's the all and be all.....yes they make a great product and have the best service you could ever ask for but their larger BBQs that are now the Q shape are a bit pricey for some household budgets due to their quality.

The Weber Qs are simple to use and theres one to fit all budgets but.....they're not for everyone's tastes and many Aussies are not imagining the concept of lid down grilling.

There are a lot of 4 burner, lid on grills on the market, in fact most BBQs today have a lid, but because of the way they are designed, the lids are really only good for roasting temperatures at the very most.....it's due mostly because of their ventilation and how the exhausted hot air escapes the cooking chamber....if you have too much hot air build up in there, it could produce a frightening flare-up and fat fire especially if the hot air is mixed with drippings from the food that get into a drip tray beneath.....it could mean disaster for BBQ and possibly the house. So the majority of Australian designed BBQs are good roasters but still rely on open lid grilling which I guess suits most Aussies.

Lid down grilling is what Weber grills are designed to do.....doesn't matter what the temp and once you become accustomed to lid down grilling and learn to trust the bbq, you won't go back to the conventional way....I tried that with a Masport 6 burner....hated it and bought me another Q.

Now even though the man of the house mostly looks after the BBQing duties...the Wife usually has a major say in what that BBQ should be or look like, they don't care too much about the technical side but it's gotta look the part...same as any house decor :lol:

Places like BBQs Galore cater for all types now and their BBQs are a heck of a lot better than they were only 5 years ago, stainless steel gets more of a look in, porcelin covered grill bars etc, they have Weber Q's but they go against their main line of Ziggys which are kind of a similar design concept but those who have them love em and I haven't heard any bad reports about them at all which tells me they are a decent unit.

Galores are probably the best one stop shop generally if you want to get a grasp of what's on offer.....just beware of weekend juniors trying to give advice on BBQs when they've probably never cooked a snag in their life. With the introduction of low n slow American style BBQ that's hit Australian shores over the past few years, BBQ stores like Galores and even Bunnings have had to adapt and come to the party with a better range of Gas & Charcoal as well as pellet BBQs and pizza ovens.

There are some very good independent BBQ stores around and they will give you the best advice as they are usually enthusiasts themselves.....

I personally own a Weber Q320, I've had the baby Q as well as the 200 series Q but for me, the best in the family Q and theres only me and the Mrs here, I have no need for portability so this one stays out in the back yard all the time..albeit with a cover...the Q's don't really need a cover as they are mostly Hard Plastic and aluminium.
The family Qs get really hot, well over 300C they fit a lot of food and with a few accessories like a roasting trivet, they produce outstanding roasts and pizzas. Easy to operate too....only 2 knobs to use. Very good on gas as well compared to a 4 burner.

Anyway...food for thought....take your time with it and buy right for you and wifey.

Happy new year & BBQ & Beers

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Angryman65

Post by Angryman65 »

If you're getting started and want to get the most bang for your buck theres a few options.

I use a KMart hooded 6 burner, a Bunnings Kettle and a ProQ. Can't say enough good things about the ProQ.

For about a grand you could get all of these shopping wisely. Learn, burn and then upgrade.

BUT

Quality costs a bit more and the after sales service that guys here talk about from Weber is legendary. So there is a compromise.

Think about what you want to do, read and learn from others experience here and ask questions.

You'll get all the help you need.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for bad hunter.
n00bbq

Post by n00bbq »

Thanks guys. I've just assembled my Char-Broil infrared grill so commited to that option but it was cheap enough that I had enough in my budget for the Pro Q as well.

Hopefully they both work out.
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

I think Masters Hardware were selling the Charbroil grills and if i remember correctly, the grill bars were like grilling plates rather than open grill bars....the good part about them is reducing flare-ups and the fats hit the bar channels which create the bbq flavour...i reckon its better than flavourised bars.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Angryman65

Post by Angryman65 »

You'll love the ProQ, takes a couple of cooks to get to know it but after that you can do so much.

Do yourself a favour and learn to drive it with heat beads first then diversify into charcoal. Charcoal is great, flavour is just so much better, but it can be a bit temperamental if you change timber species and even batches. Beads are a constant and much easier to learn to drive the BBQ.

Try the minion method, then a snake, get used to the difference the water bowl makes and how it works just lined with foil to act as a huge drip tray.

Get or make a chimney when you can. An empty food tin with both ends cut off is great for making the centre hole for a minion method cook, pile the fuel around it, pour the hot beads into it then lift the tin out.

Then, look at cold smoke generating to double the versatility.

They are a brilliant bit of gear, Have fun.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for bad hunter.