landmann off set somker

We welcome new members and encourage your participation in this forum . Please post a message here to introduce yourselves.
opsrey

landmann off set somker

Post by opsrey »

Hello to you all. Just dropping a short post to say hi. I have been a Webber kettle user (stamp letter G-1984) for four years, and I do the basics. I have been lucky enough to be a gest of Chris on two occasions where the group get together and share stories, hints and fellowship.
The occasions have got me wishing I could do more for my cooking, so I have been looking on Guntree for a suitable (well priced, I am out of work at present) smoker to kick up my outdoor cooking.
Well earlier this week I hit the jackpot. A local neighbour put out some verge collection bits. One of the bits was this Landmann offset smoker !!
Its not brand new, but is mostly complete. It seems to have been used a lot, and now has a new home - my house :D

I will do some small improvement modifications (chimney extension, tune plate, temperature gauges, sealing) and post the end result. Ill take Wayne's advice and give it a brush up and high temp spray paint. Exciting stuff !!

What do others use for heat bricks, or a heat sink? Just thick metal?

Thanks for the site, I'm excited about this summer.

Glenn
Warnbro, WA
ozwaz

Re: landmann off set somker

Post by ozwaz »

Hi Glenn,

If you are ever in Bassendean way I have a pile of bricks from a chimney I knocked down. They are going to become a pizza oven, but there are heaps more than I need, 2 or 3 of these would have some pretty good thermal mass properties I would have thought.

Great pick up by the way.

Wazza
Traeger Pellet Grill - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner
SilentBoB

Post by SilentBoB »

A free offset! Nice score! Welcome to the world of evil stickburners!

I don't have any bricks or tuning plates in the Tri-Fire but then again I haven't done any really big cook ups. I will probably invest in some tuning plates at some point. From what I read when I was researching offsets the chimney extension is a must for those Landmanns.

At the moment I just rotate the meat as needed closer to the firebox as I'm cooking.

I'm sure you'll have plenty of fun with your new toy!
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Hey! I know that ratbag! Welcome Glenn!

For a heat sink use a tray of water or throw a heap of bricks in the belly.

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!