hello from yamba nsw

We welcome new members and encourage your participation in this forum . Please post a message here to introduce yourselves.
ryno

hello from yamba nsw

Post by ryno » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:23 pm

hi everyone!

i'm ryan, originally from melbourne, currently living near yamba, northern rivers nsw.

on a recent trip back to melbourne to visit friends and family i discovered the wonder that is american style low and slow barbeque. it's definitely a trend in australia right now, but i have a feeling i've been converted for life! i've always loved steaks and ribs and big roasts, but the textures and flavours are just on another level!

about 12-13 years ago when i was still living at my folks home my old man bought himself a 4 burner weber bbq. this was my introduction to cooking with the lid down, and direct and indirect cooking. the bbq (or grilling and roasting) bug bit and i've loved cooking outside ever since! when i moved out i bought myself a weber family q, which has been serving me well for almost 8 years , and when i hit the road and went travelling i couldn't bare to leave my weber behind so i bought a baby q to take along. they're an incredibly easy, versatile bbq, but i was looking for something more...

after 2 weeks in melbourne and more than my fair share of barbeque - beef brisket, pork belly rib, pulled pork, beef short rib, mac and cheese, slaw, chilli cheese fries and all the rest, i returned home and set about researching my next BBQ. thanks to the internet, and in particular this site, i was able to weigh up my options and after many many hours of deliberation, decided on the tried and weber kettle one touch gold.

sure, it mightn't have the capacity of some of the bigger smokers, and it might not hold its temperature as well as a WSM or a kamado, but i can set it up to smoke, to roast or to grill, and i can start at the beginning with the basics. i already had a thermopen and i've since purchased a maverick et-733 from 'urban griller' so i'm feeling pretty confident.

i've already had some great results in cooking pork butt, chuck roast, beef short ribs using the snake method, reverse sear rib eye steaks and grilling up some of my home made sausages.

thanks for all your great input on the forum, i look forward to learning more cooking method and recipes, and no doubt getting some tips along the way!

ryan

urbangriller

Re: hello from yamba nsw

Post by urbangriller » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:31 pm

Welcome Ryan,

The Kettle will hold temp perfectly with the right technique! You need the snake, read this: http://www.aussiebbq.info/forum/viewtop ... =19&t=4864

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!

Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:34 pm

Welcome aboard Ryan. The weber kettle can churn out fantastic food! You're in the right place :wink:

Macca

Post by Macca » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:27 pm

Hi Ryno, and welcome.
you cant go wrong with the kettle, I cook on a Kamado and the Kettle. Just love that flavor. :D
"I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food."
- W.C. Fields

Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:28 pm

Hi and Welcome Ryno,

Yeah as others have said, the Weber kettle is a great way to learn how to work with live fire and wih a few tweeks, can hold temps and smoke for some time.
As Urban griller pointed out, the Snake is the go for low and slow in the kettle, a sort of a spin from the original Minion method by allowing the coals to continuously catch alight as it goes.
The snake seems to reduce the issue of temp spikes but you can place a small tray of cold water over where the fire burns to act as heat sink...remember water boils at 212F or 100C so it does create some resistance as well as adding humidity into the cooking chamber.

Another way is to place about 20 lit coals on top of a pile of unlit coals to create a slow down burn and this also can give you a good 10 plus hours of low n slow...that is the real minion method. All this needs to be done on only 1 side of the charcoal grate which leaves the other side completely free......for example, 25-30% of the charcoal grate for the fire and 75-70% free space for indirect.

Great that you live in Yamba...what a top spot.....know it well......lived in Grafton for 9 years and Yamba was a regular haunt.....bought an investment house in the Yamba keys estate back in the early 2000's....the most expensive fish n chips I ever had :lol:

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5

ryno

Post by ryno » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:16 pm

thanks for the welcome everyone!

the snake method has definitely been my friend so far, it's helped me with a few 10 hour-ish low and slow cooks, with plenty of fuel left at the end! first off i tried 2 rows of heatbeads on the bottom and 2 rows of heatbeads on top and had some difficulty keeping temps down to around 225f for the whole cook. next i tried 2 rows on the bottom with 1 row on top and i was able to hold 225f for 10 hours no dramas! i find it amazing how steady the kettle can hold temperature with hardly any adjustment.

with the snake method, what's the best type of wood to use for smoke - chunk or chip? and also, does soaking the wood really make much of a difference? i've only used chunk so far...

got a few friends coming around for beef short ribs this week-end. picked up some big 3 bone racks for the butcher in byron - 500-600g each. because they're quite big and meaty i was wondering how they'd go cut into individual pieces? thoughts? also, what could i expect for cooking time for both individual bones and 3 bone racks?

thanks guys!

ryan

ryno

Post by ryno » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:25 pm

btw - still not 100% sure on what is technically a beef short rib....these ones have bones around 80-90mm long, 3 bones in a rack 8)

urbangriller

Post by urbangriller » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:44 pm

ryno wrote:btw - still not 100% sure on what is technically a beef short rib....these ones have bones around 80-90mm long, 3 bones in a rack 8)
Your bone should be twice as long, but three in a rack is right, technically the third to fifth rib is kinda what you want, but in OZ could be anything!

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!