G'day from Rob in Perth

We welcome new members and encourage your participation in this forum . Please post a message here to introduce yourselves.
Robot

G'day from Rob in Perth

Post by Robot »

Greetings Ladies and Gents. I think you could call me another of Chris' disciples as my eyes were opened after doing one of his courses. I've been making do with gas since then, but the current Dragon Kamado sale seemed like the perfect opportunity to jump into the world of charcoal.

I'm looking forward to chatting with, and learning from, all of you.

Cheers,

Rob
Muppet

G'day from Rob in Perth

Post by Muppet »

Gday mate! You could do much worse than a dragon it's a great tool to learn with. Settle in and enjoy yourself, this is a great rewarding hobby :)
Baby steps...
Current Weaponry - Saffire Kamado, Treager Junior, Outdoorchef 57, Performer 46, 'Fooseball' Grill, Hibachi
Gumb

Re: G'day from Rob in Perth

Post by Gumb »

Good choice Rob and welcome aboard.
alimac23

G'day from Rob in Perth

Post by alimac23 »

Hey Rob welcome aboard!

You've got lots of fun and tasty food ahead with your dragon, I done an overnight low n slow on Saturday night on the Akorn which is very similar, sat rock solid all night, they really are great cookers.
aussieant32

Post by aussieant32 »

welcome mate, this bbq has really taken the community by storm. Excellent to see so many people getting on the train, myself included!

Whats the plan once you get it?
Coolabah Gas Smoker, Weber One Touch, Dragon Kamado
Buccaneer

Post by Buccaneer »

Welcome Rob.
Kamados Rule!
That is all.
:wink:
2015 Smokin In The City-Boarshank Redemption
Buccaneer, BeachBums, Alimac23, SilentBob!
chrisg

Post by chrisg »

:)

The WA chapter continues to grow :)

I am so tempted by a Dragon, there is still stock at the give-away price just over the freeway, but domestic WWIII is not on my current agenda :)

Welcome Rob, NoR or SoR?

Cheers
Robot

Post by Robot »

NoR in Mt Hawthorn (thanks for reminding me to update the location in my profile).
aussieant32 wrote:.........Whats the plan once you get it?
A bit of everything, just to get my head around it. Actually, no, make that a lot of everything.
alimac23

G'day from Rob in Perth

Post by alimac23 »

I'm just up the road in Padbury Rob, give us a shout if you need anything.

How are you set for charcoal?
aussieant32

Post by aussieant32 »

Just don't get disheartened if anything goes wrong, it's all part of the game. I have done dozens of racks of pork ribs. Burnt my last lot to a crisp!

I find pork and lamb easiest to cook, but do what you want to eat!
Coolabah Gas Smoker, Weber One Touch, Dragon Kamado
chrisg

Post by chrisg »

:)

I'm in Heathridge, sounds like we are dotted up Marmion :)

I do agree, only some obsessive member of a fictional pantheon would be able to tell you how many chickens I've cooked on a kettle, made an utter and complete mess of the one before last, even the cat wasn't interested.

I say one before last because if you get thrown from the saddle you just get back on :)

Cheers
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Good on you Rob!

Good to see you here....and good to see you have graduated from Gas to Charcoal!

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
burb

Post by burb »

Welcome Rob, good to see another Westralian on board.
Robot

Post by Robot »

alimac23 wrote:.......How are you set for charcoal?
I picked up a bag of lump from Masters for no better reason than I was there and it looked like the stuff on youtube.......... :roll: I've since read that it's a bit light-weight, but it will get me through the seasoning and experimentation phase.

I got the call today that the Dragon has arrived, so this weekend will see it assembled. I asked SWMBO to pick up a chook for a simple first meal and she rolled her eyes and asked if this was "going to be a thing" from now on. I certainly hope so! She'll come around once she learns that she can bake in the middle of summer without heating up the house.
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

I did a chook in the kamado last night. They come out well. My suggestion would be to stand it up (as in the beer can method but without the beer can) and cook it indirect at 200c for about one hour. Par boil some spuds and coat them with oil and place them around the chook for about the last 35-45 minutes (NOT in a foil tray, just on the rack). She'll change her tune once she sees the results.