Integrated Coal BBQ Table - advice requested

We welcome new members and encourage your participation in this forum . Please post a message here to introduce yourselves.
thewattleroad

Integrated Coal BBQ Table - advice requested

Post by thewattleroad »

Hi all,

I'm Dave and I am new to this forum. I am based in Sydney, NSW.

I'm a timber furniture maker (https://www.thewattleroad.com.au) and have recently had someone enquire about making a custom table that has a coal hibachi style grill in the middle of it. The original idea they got was from here: https://www.ibbq.com

I have been researching available options (coal / gas / electric element), DIY versus integrated elements, etc. There are numerous hibachi grills that sit on top of a table but none I've seen that could be safely integrated beneath / in the middle of a table without being a danger to combustible materials. The Everdure by Heston is probably the closest match (electric element start of coal). Otherwise an integrated grill in a insulation jacket would seem appropriate.

Safety is my biggest concern and so was hoping this forum could offer some info if known:

- Australian standards for coal powered bbq's / not gas?
- Any other examples of coal grill bbq tables like above mentioned that exists in Australia?

Thanks so much for any guidance / advice / links you can offer.

Dave
Davo
Forum Administrator

Re: Integrated Coal BBQ Table - advice requested

Post by Davo »

Hi Dave and welcome,

This forum will be somewhat very quiet as original members have gone off to newer forum types but this was the Original Aussie BBQ foum.
Another forum you can join is the Smoke fire and food forum where many members congregate.

I've actually been looking for ideas myself as I'm a huge fan of the Japanese style Yaki-niku style in table grills. The are several types but are generally made for lots of commercial use usually with LPG gas or charcoal with an extendable chimney that goes over the grill as most of those table are inside a restaurant. But the concept is that everyone can sit on each side of the table and everyone has access to the grill inside the middle of the table.
The one you showed is mainly for skewers like Yaki-tori whereas the Japanese Yaki-niku grills are round generally.

There was a Company in Melbourne who were making that exact style i Mentioned but I have not been able to find them so it's possible they no longer exist so an opportunity awaits you.

The Japanese style is also based off the popular Korean BBQ style and are basically the same thing.

Perhaps take a visit to the Korean locations in Sydney like Strathfield where many Koreans restaurants are and have a look at their design and ask the owner about their tables. Another is Manmaruya Japanese Restaurant in Beverly Hills, they have Gas powered in-table grills.

I'd love to have this BBQ style at my place but i now live in Albury and no longer in Sydney, delivery might be expensive.

Regards

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
thewattleroad

Post by thewattleroad »

Thanks for all the info Davo. I wondered why it was a little quiet here. I'll try the other forum also.
But loads of information from yourself to wade through also.
If I find / make something relatively affordable, I'll let you know and drive one out to Albury.

Regards,

Dave
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Bewdy :)
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5