Girello roast - suggestions

Post your recipe requests and cooking questions in this setion. Not for general discussions.
gnol

Post by gnol » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:19 pm

Hi fellow 'qers.
I picked up a piece of beef labelled girello roast and I have no idea how to cook it. I've never used this piece before. Low and slow? High and fast? Cut into steaks?
So help me out with suggestions.

gnol

dales133

Post by dales133 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:25 pm

Seen it plenty of times but never tried it, be interested on sugetions

twelfthmanshearing

Re: Girello roast - suggestions

Post by twelfthmanshearing » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:30 pm

Girello is not suitable for low and slow. It's too lean. It's the round muscle from a piece of silverside. It roasts ok, but don't overcook it. I wouldn't take it beyond medium rare - medium, otherwise it will be dry. It makes good jerky if you are interested in that, slice it in thin strips lengthways. It's ok as a steak, but not outstanding as it can be dry. Slice it across the grain. It is often sliced super thin and called minute steak in the supermarkets. It takes marinade well, but again, don't cook it beyond medium or it will be dry.
Last edited by twelfthmanshearing on Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers
Adrian

titch

Post by titch » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:21 pm

gnol wrote:Hi fellow 'qers.
I picked up a piece of beef labelled girello roast and I have no idea how to cook it. I've never used this piece before. Low and slow? High and fast? Cut into steaks?
So help me out with suggestions.

gnol
maybe try Smokeys idea under the heading 2 hungry Italians
Cheers
Titch

dales133

Post by dales133 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:55 pm

Make good pastrami to I'd imagine

gnol

Post by gnol » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:53 pm

dales133 wrote:Make good pastrami to I'd imagine
Yes. I think it is time I did my first pastrami and I was just thinking not long ago about making one. And this piece definitely looks like it could become good pastrami.
I'll put in on hold till I get a good recipe and put it in the freezer for now.

Thanks for the comments and help everyone.

dales133

Post by dales133 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:21 pm

http://www.butcherathome.com.au/shop/in ... -2_17.html

I just got this link off a previous post and looks like they have some pretty cool cures, for my pastrami rub I use equal parts coriander seed, fennel seed , garlic granular, chilli flakes, onion powder And black pepper corns, roughly bash them up in a mortar and pistol and mix in about -1/4 brown sugar I marinade mine in loads of the spice and give it a shake every morning and night for about 2 or 3 days, then press the mix on and smoke it.
I've only used commercial corned beef soaked in the fridge with a water change every day for 3 days. Hope that helps

Meatman

Post by Meatman » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:35 pm

IMHO girello is a style over substance cut. It looks amazing raw but really doesn't one up brilliantly anyway. Best suggestion is to brine it but I'd add that round or bolar brined kill girello as corned beef. Both of the are cheaper too ( at wholesale at least) it's ok for pastrami but again round is better and the best pastrami is brisket served hot.

Sorry to be such a downer on the cut :evil: but I'd mince it and add a heap of pork fat to it so it tastes ok :evil: :twisted:

dales133

Post by dales133 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:07 pm

It does look lean, like I said I've seen it a lot but nothing I've tried

gnol

Post by gnol » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:25 pm

The missus pinched half of it and cooked it fast and high for the kids school sandwiches this week.
I'll wait and see what she does with the other half later this week.
She is an expert at making marshmallow out of tough(er) pieces of meat. The Greedy Italian men recipe looks like something she often makes.
It is frequently at $6.99 on special at our local supermarket so I'll start formulating a recipe using pink salt then make pastrami with some.
I'm also tempted to do a low and slow with one, regardless of the low fat content I still reckon it may be good.

GarthFader

Post by GarthFader » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:14 pm

I just picked up a piece of this and will be putting it into brine tomorrow along with a bolar blade to make pastrami. I've only ever used brisket for Pastrami, but haven't found a conveniently located butcher that can supply it for me.

I thought the Girello would be a good option, as i'm pretty sure it's the cut used to make most of the store-bought pastrami which is a very cylindrical piece of meat... I'm glad I read this first, i'll make sure I take the Girello out sooner than the Bolar to keep it from drying out.

I'll put a side-by-side comparison up in the recipe section when it's done.

chrisg

Post by chrisg » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:12 pm

Been cooking Girellos for years, not that often in the BBQ, but with a bit of prep and respect it is one tasty cut.

Now that courtesy of the site I know about brining I must go get one but what I've done in the past has been to marinade in a red wine base of whatever I feel like overnight, quick sear in butter, rest, cover in large fresh sliced mushrooms and my own pate, good grate of fresh black pepper then wrap in pastry, exactly what varies, in other words a Wellington :)

The pastry really depends on how much time you have, packet puff is fine, home-made hot water is better.

How you apply the heat, in the oven its about 25/35 minutes at 180C but in the BBQ with guests who love beef rare it's really just to cook the pastry, typical Wellington, the beef doesn't get to cook much if at all, just gets warmed.

It's always been well received, including by me, nice piece of beef but not melt in your mouth.

I serve it with a VERY rich Bearnaise ( a whole Tarragon plant :) ), hasselback potatoes and some green veg/candied carrots but that part is the chef discretion :)

It is one VERY lean piece of beef, getting some fat, in my case butter, in there is I think key to not making shoe leather :)

Because I tend to only get a Girello for dinner parties and my typical guests are carnivores I've not done much else with it but the thought is interesting :)

Cheers

Smokey

Post by Smokey » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:23 pm

Be sure to post up your thoughts mate. I've only been able to mince it or heavy salt cure it and shave paper thin for raw cured beef salad etc
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au

chrisg

Post by chrisg » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:04 am

Had a think back Mick.

I'd guess it was about 12 years ago that I first saw this cut at a butchers I used to buy regularly from South of the river in Perth. The shop is long gone unfortunately but it was run by an older guy who loved his beef.

I had the same feeling about the cut as expressed in this thread, looked great but first time just treating it like a roast revealed why the fat on a good brisket is key to a good roast. It was actually ok as cold roast beef but damned dry regardless. It was however very well priced and did look good so I asked him how he cooked it.

With lots of lard was basically his answer but that would get frowned upon in my household :)

The next time I bought one it was because I had been asked to do some Tornedos and the steaks that day did not look too good.

I cut four thick rounds and gave them one heck of a marinade in red wine and brandy with mustard then did the quick butter sear (butter is acceptable, lard is not :) ) before wrapping in some very fatty de-rinded bacon and cooked them as slow as I then knew how with hickory smoke.

Served with a choice of stand up on its own bearnaise or a rich tomato and onion sauce they went over well but still not as good as they could have been with some real steaks if they had have had any. ( Travails of shopping for meat for a Sunday meal at close to Midday on a Saturday in the days of limited trading hours :) )

If I recall correctly I was thinking about that after we had eaten the Tornedos with a friend who is more a baker than a roast person. It was her who suggested a Girello Wellington and its evolved from there. It makes sense, if the meat is well marinaded and served hot but rare.

I haven't actually seen the cut lately but it sort of comes and goes here but is not as cheap as it was. On the other hand I don't recall it ever being marked down because it is not selling at all.

I guess that means either a lot of people are cooking dry roasts because it looks so good raw or a lot of corned beef or pastrami :)

I'd agree with the comment about it not being the best cut for corning, never tried though. Corned beef is also a rarity in this household, health fanatics about fat AND salt :)

The mention of minute steaks however has me wondering how it would go cut thin and cooked in butter quickly for a goulash. I used to know a Hungarian who always used minute steak for her goulash and it was brilliant :)

I'm going to have to keep my eye open for a small girello and try that :)

Cheers

Smokey

Post by Smokey » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:40 pm

Thanks mate, good reading.
I too must try the Wellington way. The way you describe it, to treat it like roo meat. Sounds plausible.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au