Resting in Esky.

Post your recipe requests and cooking questions in this setion. Not for general discussions.
Bill44

Resting in Esky.

Post by Bill44 »

Thank you Aussie BBQ Forum.
Just getting back to real BBQing over the past couple of months, as opposed to just frying snags on the gasser.

The single biggest thing that I have learned here, so far, is the technique of double wrapping a charcoal cooked leg of lamb in alfoil and two towels, and putting it in an esky for 30 minutes.

I had previously thought that resting just meant leaving it laying on a plate for 10 minutes while you made the gravy, but the wrapping technique has astounding effects on the meat. I sincerely recommend it to anyone who is not doing it yet.
Thank you all.
Bill
Cast Iron Hibachi
Jackeroo Mini Spit
18 1/2" kettle
57cm Kettle
6 Burner Gasser sausage sizzler only.
urbangriller

Re: Resting in Esky.

Post by urbangriller »

Good Stuff Bill.

You are right, few people understand the value of resting, in a professional kitchen they will rest the meat for as long as they cook!

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Good point Bill, A very good post.
Its one of those "Penny Drop" moments when you actually carry out a technique when most people will skip it and then ask why it was tough :roll:
Push it past thirty minuts mate and go for an hour or two.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Bill44

Post by Bill44 »

Thanks Chris and Mick, next time I'll try it even longer.
Bill
Cast Iron Hibachi
Jackeroo Mini Spit
18 1/2" kettle
57cm Kettle
6 Burner Gasser sausage sizzler only.
Flippo

Post by Flippo »

Firstly apologies for the noob question which has probably been answered a thousand times before but..........

If you wrap and rest your roast in this way, say for an hour or more, does it still cook some whilst in the esky and therefore should you take it off a few degrees from done, or is this not the case?

Thanks in advance of replies
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Flippo wrote:Firstly apologies for the noob question which has probably been answered a thousand times before but..........

If you wrap and rest your roast in this way, say for an hour or more, does it still cook some whilst in the esky and therefore should you take it off a few degrees from done, or is this not the case?

Thanks in advance of replies
Yes, the internal temp can go up 5 degrees (ish) and then it will hold temp for a long time....longer than you think.

Chris
Flippo

Post by Flippo »

Thanks Chris,

I'm very keen and interested to try it with my next roast, which I will do now confident that it won't go into the esky underdone and come out overdone.

Man, this forum is becoming an obsession.
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

Flippo wrote:Thanks Chris,

I'm very keen and interested to try it with my next roast, which I will do now confident that it won't go into the esky underdone and come out overdone.

Man, this forum is becoming an obsession.
Tip # 2
When you wrap it in foil place in in a dish/tray and then out it in the esky with the towels over it and lid on.
When you take it out tear the bottom of the foil and let the juices out. Use the juices to pour back over the meat when serving or use them to make gravy.

Cheers

Captain
KRoo Killer

Post by KRoo Killer »

this is an interesting topic........ are there any roasts that you would NOT do this on? (eg. pork/chicken).
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

KRoo Killer wrote:this is an interesting topic........ are there any roasts that you would NOT do this on? (eg. pork/chicken).
Pork Crackling

I cut it off and serve it cold.

Cheers

Captain
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

KRoo Killer wrote:this is an interesting topic........ are there any roasts that you would NOT do this on? (eg. pork/chicken).
Apart from Anything that you want crispy like the Captain suggested pork crackle is a no go.
You can long rest anything, Roast chicken , Blade roast, Bolar, Turkey etc,,,,
Its not always necessary however and that depends on how you cook it in the first place.
Some meats benefit more than others from long resting. IMO , those that are high collagen meats such as Lamb leg, Pork neck / Shoulder, Brisket, Chuck, shin and so forth.
Poultry works well too but if you cook for crispy skin it will be lost in the rest.
Think Charcoal chook from the real charcoal chook stores, They sit in foil bags for hours and soften up.
They are not crispy but taste fantastic all the same.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Fents

Post by Fents »

had my first esky rest last weekend thanks to this forum. a chook and a leg of lamb. was only for 30mins but i could not belive how hot and how juicy the meat was when i was carving it later on.
bennos

Post by bennos »

Got my 5kg turkey and it's now drowning in a brine solution (using an Esky with ziplocked bags of ice for this big bird).

I'm going to do the technique of wrapping foil and tea towel and then putting it in an esky to rest for 2 hours. Sounds wise! I'm a big fan of resting my steaks and meats but never tried in the esky for more then 10 minutes.

I'll pull out the turkey from the weber after it hits a temp just before "cooked"... leads in to the question. What is the done temp (ºC please)? 83º C? So pull it out at around 78ºC

What is the best part to insert the gauge? Into the breast from the top near the middle

What do you do about all the excess fat and moisture dripping out through the foil with holes poked into it, Can you use a higher side tray, still causes indirect cooking,
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

bennos wrote:Got my 5kg turkey and it's now drowning in a brine solution (using an Esky with ziplocked bags of ice for this big bird).

I'm going to do the technique of wrapping foil and tea towel and then putting it in an esky to rest for 2 hours. Sounds wise! I'm a big fan of resting my steaks and meats but never tried in the esky for more then 10 minutes. Get your esky Hot with Hot water or a Hot water bottle before you rest.

I'll pull out the turkey from the weber after it hits a temp just before "cooked"... leads in to the question. What is the done temp (ºC please)? 83º C? So pull it out at around 78ºC It's Just a big Chook, so 80ish in the thigh is good 75ish for the breast.

What is the best part to insert the gauge? Into the breast from the top near the middle The thickest part of the breast, so yes! also do the joint between the thigh and the main body.

What do you do about all the excess fat and moisture dripping out through the foil with holes poked into it, Can you use a higher side tray, still causes indirect cooking, Not following this? are we talking about resting or when its cooking...what holes in the foil?
bennos

Post by bennos »

urbangriller wrote:
What do you do about all the excess fat and moisture dripping out through the foil with holes poked into it, Can you use a higher side tray, still causes indirect cooking, Not following this? are we talking about resting or when its cooking...what holes in the foil?
[/quote]

Oops didn't finish this part before sending. The foil under the trivet (while cooking) needs holes poked into it. Can I use a disposable foil tray instead? One with high sidesto capture the drippings.