The Snake Method (thanks Kevin)

Post your recipe requests and cooking questions in this setion. Not for general discussions.
Zorba

Re: The Snake Method (thanks Kevin)

Post by Zorba »

i would suggest (and mind you i have no experience on it) that you would get it up to a temp higher than required with all vents open, then use the vents to drop it to what you need.
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

KRoo Killer wrote:Hey guys. I have finally bought a geninue weber! (One touch) I really want to get into low and slows so I've been experimenting with the snake method (no food). I am following the directions as described but I am finding that the snakes 'body' won't catch. The preheated head burns fine around 250ish. But it doesn't seem to get the heat into the body enough so the first few heat beads just burn out. I thought maybe it was an airflow issue and I was using 3/4 closed on the bottom and 3/4 closed on the top. So this time I'm trying 1/2 on each and keeping a closer eye on the temp. Any thoughts would be appreciated!
When you lay the snake, leave the first 4 beads without a bead on top, this gives a sort of "Launching pad" to lay your hot beads on and helps the fire "Mount" the snake.

I'm generally doing mine in a protected environment , so vents half open works, the beads still get enough air, but at BBQ School we just go vents fully open.

Largely it is the amount of fuel that is lit at any one time that dictates the heat, the vents give a little extra control.

First time out (and second) I would say leave the vents fully open, one less thing to think about and it will give you a good understanding of how your snake works...later down the track you can start to refine your vent strategy and snake construction technique.

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
KRoo Killer

Post by KRoo Killer »

Thanks for the input guys. I had the vents 3/4 open top and bottom and def noticed the difference. I will keep tweaking and I'm sure ill have a low and slow on the go shortly!
gussigan

Post by gussigan »

oops - reposting to this thread as I accidentally put this in the brining thread:

I had a crack at the snake last weekend! went really well although I need to work on my vent controls and keeping it stable before I leave it unattended

I've actually started a blog detailing my adventures... probably not as relevant to you blokes on the forum given most if it will be stuff I have learned from here, but hoping to spread the word to a lot of mates etc in my network who don't get in to charcoal cooking

this is the post on my attempt at the snake http://gusfacegrillah.wordpress.com/201 ... ke-method/
MrT

Post by MrT »

Just read your blog post. Good work. Keep spreading the word!

(FYI, you can't use heat beads in a total fire ban either...)
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

MrT wrote:Just read your blog post. Good work. Keep spreading the word!

(FYI, you can't use heat beads in a total fire ban either...)
You can use solid fuel, but you need to be completely indoors (roof and 4 walls), otherwise Charcoal chicken joints (and BBQ School) couldn't operate!

Cheers
Chris
MrT

Post by MrT »

Ahh. Thanks for the clarification UG.

Next time there is a total fire ban, I'll see if I'm allowed to BBQ inside... ;)
gussigan

Post by gussigan »

yeah, mr T, i moved the weber into my shed which has a couple of big windows for ventilation to ensure I complied with all the fire regs

thanks for reading the blog!
Zorba

Post by Zorba »

gussigan wrote:yeah, mr T, i moved the weber into my shed which has a couple of big windows for ventilation to ensure I complied with all the fire regs

ah cool, so in the garage with the door open would be ok.
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

Zorba wrote:
gussigan wrote:yeah, mr T, i moved the weber into my shed which has a couple of big windows for ventilation to ensure I complied with all the fire regs

ah cool, so in the garage with the door open would be ok.
That's what I used to do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
josh

Post by josh »

Cooking 2.6kg PP and only my 2nd time using the snake. I think ive stuffed it up somewhere either that or I soaked my wood chunks too long and put them on too wet. Staryed the snake at 930pm and put the pork on around 1030 then went to bed steady at 230f. Alarm went off at 215 with a loss of signal then I musant have reset it. Woke at 3am and it was down to 160f and didnt burn past the 2nd wood chunk =( got it running better by 6am and was steady at 225-230f and 171f for the meat. Went to the super market at 9 and came back around 1030 an was greeted by the alarm. Bbq 161f and meat 160f =/ so I fired up more coals and now ive got it hummin at 240f and the meats slowly coming back up and at 163f.

I think next time I will not soak the wood and make sure the top row is falling onto the next one.

gnol

Post by gnol »

Looks like you have layed the beads down so they are just touching the next one in line.
you need to lean them against the next one on an angle.
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

josh wrote:Cooking 2.6kg PP and only my 2nd time using the snake. I think ive stuffed it up somewhere either that or I soaked my wood chunks too long and put them on too wet. Staryed the snake at 930pm and put the pork on around 1030 then went to bed steady at 230f. Alarm went off at 215 with a loss of signal then I musant have reset it. Woke at 3am and it was down to 160f and didnt burn past the 2nd wood chunk =( got it running better by 6am and was steady at 225-230f and 171f for the meat. Went to the super market at 9 and came back around 1030 an was greeted by the alarm. Bbq 161f and meat 160f =/ so I fired up more coals and now ive got it hummin at 240f and the meats slowly coming back up and at 163f.

I think next time I will not soak the wood and make sure the top row is falling onto the next one.

Hi Josh, the set up looks good but it can be improved a little....heres my tips

1/ It's pointless to soak wood chunks as the water will not seep in, you could soak it for 2 days and if you split the chunk open, the wetness would only be a couple of millimetres in...just put them in dry and they will still smoulder well because they are quite dense in nature not like shredded chips.

2/ Usually most meats will only take in smoke for the first few hours so place your smoking chunks a bit closer together, in this picture, I feel your chunks are too far apart. You only need to place the wood until about halfway along the snake to be efficient.

3/ I can't see if those trays have water in them or not but best not to have water in them but if you find the temp is spiking a bit, place a smaller pan of cold water on the grill grate overtop of where the fire is at that time, I find that will heat sink really well.

4/ Ensure that ALL your heatbeads are up hard against each other at all angles to ensure a continuous burn.

Other than that, it looks to be a well formed snake that will probably go for about 10-12 hours.

Great work Josh....keep at it :D

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

weberotgnewbie

Post by weberotgnewbie »

Hi all,

Given I'm relatively new to this game, I'm planning my first snake this weekend (lamb shoulder), and was just wondering how I should aim to manage the temps given I'll be relying on the inbuilt gauge in the Weber (I plan on getting one of those little nifty Mavericks later down the track!)

What hood temp would you recommend maintaining?

Thanks heaps!