Who has the best recipe for the Perfect Steak

Post your recipe requests and cooking questions in this setion. Not for general discussions.
Captain Cook

Who has the best recipe for the Perfect Steak

Post by Captain Cook »

One of the most debated subjects around a BBQ is how to cook the perfect steak.
Also what is the best way,
Charcoal?
Heatbeads?
Gas?
Hotplate?
Grill?
Hood/Lid on?
Hood/Lid off?
Marinated or natural Flavour?

What is your recipe for the perfect steak?

Regards

Captain Cook
paulr
Forum Administrator

Post by paulr »

Well because I own a KK I would have to say:

Charcoal followed by:
Sear high
Let rest
Finish low
http://aussiebbq.info/wp - my blog
https://lifesafeast.com.au/cookingclass ... criptions/ - great cooking classes
See Me, Feel Me, Touch Me, Beer Me.
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

As I am always in a hurry, I generally cook steaks on the Weber Q during the week and do the more fancy dishes and cook my steaks over charcoal on the weekends.

This is my method of cooking the perfect steak on the Weber Q. It is based on using a standard cut steak (19 mm) It can be a Rump, Porterhouse, Scotch Fillet ot T Bone, it makes no difference but my favoutite is Scotch Fillet.

The Perfect Steak

As you will discover the Q is superb for steaks. I believe that the best way to cook a steak on the Q is as follows. Note you should always use a timer with an alarm for consistent results.

For a steak that is about 19 mm (3/4") thick.

Preheat the Q on high for 10 minutes. Brush each side of the steak with a little EVOO or vegetable oil, lightly season with a pinch of sea salt.
Place the steak on the grill and Cook with the lid down for 2 1/2 minutes using the timer. Turn and cook for a further 2 1/2 minutes using the timer. ( For a 35 mm steak try 4 ½ to 5 minutes per side.)
Remove and place on the plate you will be serving from, put a small knob of butter on the steak (about a teaspoonful and cover with foil for a few minutes before serving. This will produce a steak that is medium well done and that has a slight pink band in the centre. The butter provides a lovely glaze to the steak and the melted butter blends with the natural juices to provide a natural sauce which complements the steak. The Grill on the Q produces excellent searing which caramelises the meat produces natural flavouring and produces perfect grill marks.
You can cook multiple steaks to varying degrees of doneness (don't you love that word) by putting them on in 20 - 30 second intervals and turning them together and removing them at 20 - 30 second intervals - the longest cooked ones will be well done etc.
Once you have perfected the basic steak - try just adding different fresh herbs or spices to the butter. If you are doing many steaks or it is a very cold day, you may need to adjust the time slightly.

Recipe prepared by “The Gourmet Cabernet” alias “Captain Cook”
Davo
Forum Administrator

Perfect Steak

Post by Davo »

I Guess a perfect Steak means different things to different people, some like it redder than a Kings cross lamplight,Others like it like an old leather boot. Me?, I like it just a light pink inside and juicy.
I probably prefer either a Scotch Fillet or T-bone and usually cook it on my Q120 (baby Q with wings).
heat it up for 12-15 minutes till it's really smokin',and while I'm doing that, i'm inside preparing the vegies in the steamer or maybe i will grill them.
Usually I grill the vegies first which will give the meat a little more time to come up to room or median temp. I don't spice the steak up too much like I used to, I used to get a bit carried away with spices to the point where I couldn't taste the meat,so now I just use a salt & pepper grinder and give it a quick grind on both sides,give it a spray with olive oil from a pressure can and throw it on the grill for about 2.5 to 3 mins and turn it 90 degrees to get the cross patterns for another 2 mins then flip it and cook for about 3 mins and take it off and let it rest.
After 5 Minutes I perform the ancient Australian Chant..
2...4...6...8...Bogg in don't wait!!
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5