Help with Weber Q200 and Roasts

Post your recipe requests and cooking questions in this setion. Not for general discussions.
djnyd

Help with Weber Q200 and Roasts

Post by djnyd »

Hey there, haven't posted in a while...

Got an issue with roasting on my weber q200 and it's happened a couple of times now, just want to double check I've got everything right.

Gear:
Weber Q200
Roasting Trivet
Foil under Trivet
Maverick RediCheck ET 73 (like this one: https://www.amazon.com.au/Maverick-Remo ... B0000DIU49)

The problem I have is that whenever I roast with this set up, the roast ends up undercooked in the centre.

Here's my workflow...

Cooking a Leg of Lamb, bone in, approx 1.5kg
I turn the bbq on, and keep it on the lowest setting to prep it for roasting. The trivet and foil are in as per the instructions on this forums.
The thermometer is in set on the grill (even though it's for a smoker) and it'll always read above 200-210! not ideal for roasting, and actually maxes out the range on the thermometer (it's made for smokers).

After about 10 minutes of pre-heating - I put the leg of lamb on. The food prong of the thermometer is right in there in the middle of the meat, not really anywhere near the bone, and from that I can tell it's positioned properly.

Now, after watching the thermometer and the time (I usually give it till the food thermometer hits 68 degrees) I take the lamb off and let it rest for a bit... Look's great on the outside but when I carve it up after about 5 - 10 minutes of resting, pink on the inside!!!

Is there anything I need to watch out for? Is my thermometer busted? Is my bbq too hot even on the lowest setting?

Help :P
djnyd

Re: Help with Weber Q200 and Roasts

Post by djnyd »

Exhibit A
Attachments
IMG_5537.jpeg
IMG_5537.jpeg (133.21 KiB) Viewed 7038 times
Cobblerdave

Post by Cobblerdave »

G’day
If you only taking it to 68C that’s med rare the pic reflects that. Pink but not rare
Try taking it to 75 to 78C which is well done but still juice. Go any higher say 85C and it’s pretty grey and grainy.
I usually put it on a warm plate cover it with foil and wrap in a towel and rest for 1/2 hour.
Regards Dave
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Yes I'll go with what Cobblerdave says, it's not really done enough, up to 75C internal and it should still be lovely and juicy, also when you're preheating your grill, do it on high for the first 10 minutes then bring it down to the roasting temp.

I also like to buy the bone out leg and butterfly it....roast it as normal till about 65C then jack up the temp to high, remove the trivet and foil and sear it on both sides till about 73-75C....you won't taste lamb like it.....nice and crusty on the outside and moist...bloody delicious!!

cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
djnyd

Post by djnyd »

Thanks for the help guys - tried the searing after the roasting as well and it turned out great.

I still think there's something wrong with my thermometer - got to 70 degrees in like 20 minutes!!!

That being said, much better results after a bit of screwing around with the thermometer probe placement