Could I be not cooking my ribs hot enough(Weber kettle)

Post your recipe requests and cooking questions in this setion. Not for general discussions.
Doogal

Could I be not cooking my ribs hot enough(Weber kettle)

Post by Doogal »

Hi all first time poster here, so I’ve recently bought myself a Weber kettle and am trying to get my pork ribs to come out nice and juicy like they should be but instead both times they have come out dry and tough.

I’m cooking indirect etc with water pan over the coals and from what I’ve read about 100-110c is fine for sound ribs so I’ve been keeping that top dome temp gauge around there the best I can and cooked for nearly 5 hours and they were dry and tough as both times

Originally I thought it must be too hot or something but then I started thinking that the temp up there is probably different to down on the grill where the meat is, so I put my probe down there on a practice run yesterday and sure enough it’s wayyy colder down there cooking indirect, to get 110 down there the top gauge was nearly at 200!

So after all that I guess my question is do I just need to be cooking them hotter to get the results I’m after?

Thanks everyone sorry for the wall of text
titch

Re: Could I be not cooking my ribs hot enough(Weber kettle)

Post by titch »

Doogal wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:13 am Hi all first time poster here, so I’ve recently bought myself a Weber kettle and am trying to get my pork ribs to come out nice and juicy like they should be but instead both times they have come out dry and tough.

I’m cooking indirect etc with water pan over the coals and from what I’ve read about 100-110c is fine for sound ribs so I’ve been keeping that top dome temp gauge around there the best I can and cooked for nearly 5 hours and they were dry and tough as both times

Originally I thought it must be too hot or something but then I started thinking that the temp up there is probably different to down on the grill where the meat is, so I put my probe down there on a practice run yesterday and sure enough it’s wayyy colder down there cooking indirect, to get 110 down there the top gauge was nearly at 200!

So after all that I guess my question is do I just need to be cooking them hotter to get the results I’m after?

Thanks everyone sorry for the wall of text
I do not cook Pork Ribs.
Your on the right track with your thoughts on Temps
Cover the top temp and ignore it, go with your grill temp.
try running your cook using the probe nthat you have, you may be surprised by the result.
Cant help with the waterpan I have never used one.
Let us know how you go, maybe play cooking Chickens first as they are cheap,then move on to the ribs.
Welcome to the forum
Cheers
Titch