Coles shoulder roasts....

Post your recipe requests and cooking questions in this setion. Not for general discussions.
Alflex

Coles shoulder roasts....

Post by Alflex »

Hey guys im new to smoking, recently built a uds. Had a couple of runs to season and ready for my first smoke up. Has anyone smoked the shoulder roasts from coles?? Will they be any good for pulled pork??
titch

Re: Coles shoulder roasts....

Post by titch »

Welcome
Yes you could but I think you could do better with bone in.
Bone is a great heat conductor and lets you know when the meat is pull-able
That said it will work, done a few costco ones like that
Where about are you, anywhere near an Asian area?
Cheers
Titch
Alflex

Post by Alflex »

Had one in the fridge so i threw some rub on it and threw it in the drum! So far so good, been in about 3 1/2 hrs, the meats sitting at 147degrees, will wrap at 160ish and put back in until internal temp reaches 190ish. Will post a pic once shes done. Will definitely look at getting a butt for next time. Im on the gold coast so will look around for an asian butcher. Cheers mate :D
titch

Post by titch »

Alflex wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:57 am Had one in the fridge so i threw some rub on it and threw it in the drum! So far so good, been in about 3 1/2 hrs, the meats sitting at 147degrees, will wrap at 160ish and put back in until internal temp reaches 190ish. Will post a pic once shes done. Will definitely look at getting a butt for next time. Im on the gold coast so will look around for an asian butcher. Cheers mate :D
no pressure,but! waiting.
Cheers
Titch
Alflex

Post by Alflex »

Sorry didnt end up getting a pic, but it came out good. Stalled at around 153 for an hour or so, so wrapped it and threw it back in. Few hours later stalled again at around 180. The temp in the drum was starting to drop off so i gave in and threw it in the oven to reach a temp of 192 degrees and let rest for about half an hour. Wasnt quiet pullable but was still amazing!! I was shitting myself that it was going to come out dry. Had the meat in the drum at 7am and didnt eat till 6.30. All in all was a good 1st cook experience. Looking forward to learning more and experimenting.
titch

Post by titch »

Alflex wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:53 pm Sorry didnt end up getting a pic, but it came out good. Stalled at around 153 for an hour or so, so wrapped it and threw it back in. Few hours later stalled again at around 180. The temp in the drum was starting to drop off so i gave in and threw it in the oven to reach a temp of 192 degrees and let rest for about half an hour. Wasnt quiet pullable but was still amazing!! I was shitting myself that it was going to come out dry. Had the meat in the drum at 7am and didnt eat till 6.30. All in all was a good 1st cook experience. Looking forward to learning more and experimenting.
Even the part failures are awesome, good on ya mate, its all about learning, we all do.
Nothing wrong with finishing inside ,lots of us do it.
Cheers
Titch