Smoking using wood pellets in a metal smoke box for low and slow? Best Technique ? Your tips and tricks

Post your recipe requests and cooking questions in this setion. Not for general discussions.
L2obin

Smoking using wood pellets in a metal smoke box for low and slow? Best Technique ? Your tips and tricks

Post by L2obin »

How does one smoke using smoking pellets on low and slow?

I initially tried throwing pellets into the coals, but they burn too fast.

I then tried wrapping them in alu foil and throwing them on the coals.. result was better, but again they burn too fast..

I subsequently purchased a smoking box (small metal one) and filled it with pellets and threw it on the coals.. yep they burned too fast...

Now I am thinking maybe I should place the pellets within the smoking box on the grill itself or the heat deflector (using a Kamado)?

Perhaps I am doing all this wrong...

How can I get a low sustained smoke burn from pellets?
Gurilla

Re: Smoking using wood pellets in a metal smoke box for low and slow? Best Technique ? Your tips and tricks

Post by Gurilla »

Hi mate not sure if you ended up susing it out?

For Smoking pellets your better off using a smoke tube such as a amazin tube, fill this with a few hand fulls of pellets and light using a blow torch just the top ones and let it burn for a few minutes and it will go out and be red and start burning the others and will create smoke.. you put this on the grill next to your food instead of the coals
Black Q 3200