Costco brisket

Post your recipe requests and cooking questions in this setion. Not for general discussions.
Twansadrown

Costco brisket

Post by Twansadrown »

Hey guys

Long story short i recently bought a weber orignal kettle and i have been having a blast making pork ribs and chicken

I want to move onto brisket low and slow. Costco just started stocking their beef brisket but they are massive! Like it would take up 70% of the grill space on my weber original. Is it even possible for me to use snake method low and slow smoke with the size of them??
Attachments
IMG_8770.JPG
IMG_8770.JPG (154.21 KiB) Viewed 9003 times
Lovey
Forum Moderator

Re: Costco brisket

Post by Lovey »

G'day Twansadrown and welcome aboard.
Feel free to jump onto the forum welcome area here https://www.aussiebbq.info/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 and intro yourself

I'll start up by saying that I don't have any experience with brisket, it's another thing for my 'to do' list :oops: .
I do believe that the common wisdom for a massive hunk of meat like that is to separate it into 2 parts, the point and the flat.
Those 2 parts of the meat cook at different times, so you run the risk of over cooking one part and under cooking the other if you leave them together.
If you search around here you'll find posts about separating the point from the flat.
I'm sure that someone a lot wiser and experienced with brisket will chime in, but I hope that helps a bit.
All the best,
Steve
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Yes Twansadrown, those Costco Briskets are freaking huge, I've never been able to attack one myself but will one day.

As Lovey suggested, it's best to seperate the flat from the point and theres lots of videos like this to show you how to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phKQH6te1OI

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

Try chuck instead of brisket. Easier to cook. Just as tasty.
Twansadrown

Post by Twansadrown »

Thanks alot guys and thanks for the welcome! Exciting times ahead
Noony

Post by Noony »

Personally I would leave it in one piece.
Trim it yes, especially the tick fat vane next to the point but other then that keep it whole. Keeping the point with the flat will give moistness (hate that word). They may cook at different temps but outside of comps if the point does sooner you may just be unable to cube. Always monitor the thickest part of the flat as this is the hardest to get right and it is where you would get your nice slices.