Cha siu (Chinese BBQ pork)

Post your recipe requests and cooking questions in this setion. Not for general discussions.
Lovey
Forum Moderator

Post by Lovey »

G'day all,
I just whipped up a batch of cha siu as per this recipe
https://www.aussiebbq.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9949.
It turned out quite nicely and I've got about half of it left over and I'm looking for suggestions as to what to do with it.

Two things came to mind, one being a soup and the other being a Vietnamese style pork roll.

Does anyone have a good soup recipe using bbq pork?

The other question is, what gives the Vietnamese pork rolls their distinctive flavour? I know there's mint in there as well as the fresh vegies, but there's something that gives it that special flavour, is it a sauce of some kind?

There's a place a few km's down the road that does a good Vietnamese pork roll, but I've usually scoffed it down before I get the chance to dissect it ::).

Thanks for looking.
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

Some chicken soup, rice noodles, shallots go well. A few thin slices of ginger. Season with sesame seed oil.
Davo
Forum Administrator

Re: Cha siu (Chinese BBQ pork)

Post by Davo »

Would it be worthwhile to make up another batch of that sauce marinade and use it as a sauce then have the pork over rice, perhaps stir fry some Asian veggies to go with it.

I can't say I dabble much into the Asian way of BBQ, I generally give this job to my wife who is Japanese, I don't want to poach on her territory although she doesn't cook or eat much Chinese style but loves to eat Vietnamese.
Yeah maybe some kind of soup, not sure if it'd blend in to the Vietnamese style or not.

The Vietnamese use a fair bit of lemongrass especially in their rolls and they also combine this with fish sauce which is my favourite.

We often go to this Vietnamese eatery in Riverwood (Sydney) often packed with Vietnamese and Chinese, definately not fine dining :lol: it's one of those places where you line up to go in...esp. on a weekend night, go in, sit down, order, eat and leave so others can do the same....but it's good tucker, cheap. and never leave dissapointed.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
paulr
Forum Administrator

Post by paulr »

Fish sauce is a staple for vienamese food and yup good al lemongrass.
try those?

Happy BBQ-ing, Paul
http://aussiebbq.info/wp - my blog
https://lifesafeast.com.au/cookingclass ... criptions/ - great cooking classes
See Me, Feel Me, Touch Me, Beer Me.
Lovey
Forum Moderator

Post by Lovey »

Thanks for the tips folks, they're very appreciated. I can see some experimentation coming up very soon.
Thanks again all.