Butterflied chicken and lamb - Weber Baby Q / Jumbo Joe

Post your recipe requests and cooking questions in this setion. Not for general discussions.
joey13

Butterflied chicken and lamb - Weber Baby Q / Jumbo Joe

Post by joey13 »

Hi guys,

This Australia Day weekend, I'll be spending it with wife and friends on a House Boat on the Murray! Of course, The Baby Q and Jumbo Joe are coming along.

I've only recently acquired this portable units and have not yet used them. I'm used to cooking on the Family q and 57cm Kettle.

Just have a couple questions regarding cooking times and method for following. If you guys could give me rough directions for both Gas (Baby Q) and Charcoal (Jumbo Joe), that would be awesome!

Butterflied Lamb - Usually do this on the Family Q as the good old Captain suggests. Trivet - NO FOIL. Both burners up 1-2 strokes from LOW. 15 mins Flesh side up, 10 minutes Flesh side down, 10 minutes again Flesh side up to finish.

How would I convert this to a Baby Q setting?

Method for Jumbo Joe? Beads, setup and time?

Butterflied Chicken - Marinated Store Bought?

Baby Q - ?
Jumbo Joe - ?

I assume all other cooking times remain the same for the Jumbo Joe as it is for the 57cm? Just less fuel to start 20 per side (VS 25 per side).
Mainey . . .

Re: Butterflied chicken and lamb - Weber Baby Q / Jumbo Joe

Post by Mainey . . . »

:mrgreen:

Can't tell you for chicken, but..... for inch + thick Porterhouse it's 4 mins each side on Baby 'Q' for a comparison.

The lid area on the Baby Q is much smaller than other cookers, so heats up quicker with the single burner, and also does a good job of maintaining the heat.
An experienced cook & now a Weber Baby 'Q' devotee...
it's a very different world where you can smell but can't see what's happening with your food
:P
Davo
Forum Administrator

Re: Butterflied chicken and lamb - Weber Baby Q / Jumbo Joe

Post by Davo »

With Jumbo Joe, due to their smaller interior, I'd use half a lit chimney of coals to 1 side, lamb to the other with maybe a drip pan besides the coals under the lamb.
When lamb is about 3/4s of required doneness, then throw the lamb over coals for reverse sear.
When happy with doneness....lightly tent not wrap the meat in foil and rest for 10 -15 minutes. Grill other stuff while waiting for the resting.
When roasting the meat, make sure you have exhaust vents on the lid over the meat.

Slice & enjoy
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5