First brisket attempt!

Post your recipe requests and cooking questions in this setion. Not for general discussions.
M10

First brisket attempt!

Post by M10 »

Hi guys. The kids gave me this bad boy for an early Fathers Day present
I have a Kamado Joe Classic and this is my first crack at a brisket
Just a couple of questions. I thought I would just give it a Texas style rub of salt and pepper but I have researched and get all kinds of conflicting time to cook.
I thought I would aim for 215-220f but due to different thicknesses in the cut I can get a time to aim for. I thought about 6 hrs and then wrap in foil for another 5-6 hrs then rest for another hour or so.
Or am I better wrapping the flat after 4 hrs before wrapping the whole thing at 6 hrs.
I've got some hickory chunks I was going to throw in when I first light the charcoal (which is mangrove)
I have read some reports of 3hrs per kg
I'm looking at a 5:30pm - 6:00pm sit down to eat
I welcome any suggestions
Thanks guys
Peter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
smokerjoe

Re: First brisket attempt!

Post by smokerjoe »

Correct so around the 18 hours depending on temp of your pit and how well it holds temp at 225 to 250. Also allow a good hour to start your fire and get to temp. And you can always wrap at the 150 mark to help speed up the stall. Check your brisket at about 193 for tenderness and pull it around the 195 to 200.
M10

First brisket attempt!

Post by M10 »

Thanks mate. I have decided to go with John Setzlers method of 275 for 6 hrs and then covering with bbq sauce and placing in a tray wih a bit of beer, onions, garlic and capsicums and covering till done. Looks good
Covered with rub each side and sat for 20mins a side and put into Kamado at 275
Now to sit back for 6 hrs
To be continued

Pesto3

First brisket attempt!

Post by Pesto3 »

I did this method on Monday but I did it with a dome temp of 225f. It turned out amazing! I only did the flat though. How did you go getting the whole packer on the classic?

Groovy Gorilla

Re: First brisket attempt!

Post by Groovy Gorilla »

What price was it?
chilling while grilling