Why does my gravy never work out for me?

Post your recipe requests and cooking questions in this setion. Not for general discussions.
beginner

Why does my gravy never work out for me?

Post by beginner »

I love roasts because they're easy, delicious, and the leftovers are a dish of their own. I'm starting to question whether I even deserve to hold the tongs at all though because of this water gravy. I revisit the issue from time to time but have never really gotten anywhere, it should really be the highlight so time to get it sorted out.

Here's what I do

I transfer the drippings and resting juices into a pyrex jug, sometimes I'll fully deglaze the pan and whack all that in to but havn't really been doing that lately.
I take whatever stock is in the cupboard and dump that in, around a 1:1 ratio with whatever I'd previously collected
Salt and pepper
Pyrex goes on small stove burner on low
I prepare a cornflour or regular flour slurry and spoon it in + stir

It'll generally taste good but just really watery so goes all over the plate and won't stick to the food. Once I put heaps of cornflour and it thickened up in the fridge over night, but the taste of cornflour was very strong, and it took overnight anyway. How do they get stuff like gravox to thicken up the way it does? Right now mainly interested in sorting out the constancy, special recipes always handy though!
hoddo

Re: Why does my gravy never work out for me?

Post by hoddo »

after adding the cornflour/water slurry to the gravy you need to bring it to the boil and simmer for a few min.
Captain

Post by Captain »

Add plain flour to the dripping in the same container you roasted with and put it on the stove. Med heat. Mix flour and fat to combine, picking up all the little bits on the pan. You have to cook out the flour and at this point will determine how dark you want your gravy. Add your stock, this will deglaze the pan. Bring to the boil briefly getting any lumps out. simmer it on a high heat if you want to reduce it down or add more stock. Whichever is needed for your taste. Add butter. check seasoning and your done.
I often have a heap of rough cut veggies under the roast first to help flavour the gravy. I do the same as I have described but strain the sauce and then into a pan for fine tuning and heat.

Hope that helps.
Nothing to see here.
beginner

Post by beginner »

OK will see how we go, cooking the flour out may be where I'm going wrong and maybe I'm not using enough, have not used butter before either. You guys got an idea of how much flour you're using?
Cobblerdave

Post by Cobblerdave »

G'day
Use plain flour as it can handle a reheat. Cornflour thickens looses its thickness on reheating.
Regards dave
Captain

Post by Captain »

beginner wrote: have not used butter before either. You guys got an idea of how much flour you're using?
All depends how much fat you have and how much gravy you want to have. Usually a big table spoon is enough to make the roux. If after it's to thick just add more stock to get what your after. Adding butter at the end helps give the gravy some extra flavour, makes it a bit more silky and some length to the pallet.
Nothing to see here.
Groovy Gorilla

Post by Groovy Gorilla »

I use potato flour about 1 tblspn to a bit a of water stir and add.
It has no taste of flour and it thickens well and quick.
Its better to add less and then add more as you need it, I make a slurry in a small bowl
I use it in stirfrys too
If you stock lacks flavour a few splashes of fish sauce and I might add deep fried shallots and a bay leaf and some thyme to stock if I dont have enough pan juices and roast veg pieces.
chilling while grilling