Which butchers paper to use during smoking?

Post your recipe requests and cooking questions in this setion. Not for general discussions.
austingarmin

Which butchers paper to use during smoking?

Post by austingarmin »

Hi everyone!

I've been wanting to try using butchers paper to cook a brisket or just to wrap beef shorties after cooking.

I'm not sure whether theres a distinction between different types of butchers paper and some people online have said that not all butchers paper should be used for food.

Can anyone suggest specific types of butchers paper or a source for 'foodsafe' paper?

Found this one: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Butchers-Pap ... SwRH5XKHSc
Davo
Forum Administrator

Re: Which butchers paper to use during smoking?

Post by Davo »

I think a mate of mine bought some at Costco last he was down in Sydney but i never go to those extremes as that paper absorbs too much meat juice si i just use about 3 layers of foil and wrap in newspaper instead of towells. Newspaper is an excellent insulator.....also great for sliding down the front of motorcycle jackets to keep the cold from my chest lol

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Pink Paper is certainly available in the post / Packing industry. Weather its food safe or not who knows? It certainly looks and feels the same as the stuff your thinking of.
Try Redback trading. I think they had actual bags made of pink paper.
Note; I've seen people that buy it from the US in large rolls seem to be using a few metres then flogging it off. Possibly not all its been hyped up to be. I mean what is the point of the crutch if your not holding steam in?
And if the paper does hold in all the steam? why not just foil?
If the paper lets out some pressure and that supposedly being a "Good" thing,,, Why not poke a few holes in foil?
People spend $$ sealing the doors and lids of loose BBQ's only to verily compromise what the crutch actually is.
And that's even if the crutch is required in the first place.
Pending the size of your brisket, Try a plane old large oven bag :wink:
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
austingarmin

Post by austingarmin »

I've just been reading that it allows meat to 'breathe' and take on smoke and whatnot, i'll look into those sources you guys have mentioned especially costco (place of best pork ribs! and possible beef shorties and they have like 8kg briskets mmmm)
bbqnewB

Post by bbqnewB »

Its incredible. The real stuff is currently sold out of both melb and syd
smokerjoe

Post by smokerjoe »

Hey there guys i use 800mm wide grease proof paper works great. I should have some on the market soon if your interest.