Does more beef ribs = more time?

Post your recipe requests and cooking questions in this setion. Not for general discussions.
Loutky

Does more beef ribs = more time?

Post by Loutky »

Hi forum, im new to smoking and would like to throw a question out there that may very well be standard knowledge for you experienced smoker types.

Recently, i smoked up a winning rack of beef ribs. Due to their success, i have been asked to smoke up the same recipe for a group.

Will i need to extend my cooking time if i increase the number of same sized racks in the smoker??
Will there be a difference between the racks on the lower grills compare to the higher grills?

Im cooking in a vertical smoker.

Thanks in advance
Davo
Forum Administrator

Re: Does more beef ribs = more time?

Post by Davo »

Hi mate, sorry about late reply,

All meat will absorb heat, especially if it's cold but will need less once it comes up to temp.

I don't know the actual time/heat scale but in my experience when you place more food in the smoker, I allow an extra hour for it to be ready, kinda works for me. I generally check it more often in the last hour to make sure I don't overshoot but usually it's ok. If you want to sauce them, then every 10 minutes, apply an extra layer of sauce all over the ribs within the last half hour. If you can slide a skewer in the ribs with little resistence, then they are done.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5