NRL Grand Final Food

Post your recipe requests and cooking questions in this setion. Not for general discussions.
Sjcampbell

NRL Grand Final Food

Post by Sjcampbell »

Doing ribs tomorrow for the footy. I have two racks of St Louis cut pork ribs and while I was in the butcher found a packet of "Korean Beef Ribs" which seem to be a beef short rib but with a full thickness of meat.

I do my pork ribs for 5 hours at 120C and was thinking of putting on the beef ribs 2 hours earlier (7 hours in total) at the same temp, testing for doneness at about the 6.5 hour mark, roughly thr time Franklin mentions in his book.

Any thoughts about that temp and anything I need to know about these beef ribs or any special prep they need? Never done them before so this will be an experiment.
Cheers
Steve

Jackaroo 6 burner gasser, Dragon Kamado,
QMaster Junior and Maverick 735
steinyboys

Re: NRL Grand Final Food

Post by steinyboys »

The only thing I can see you are doing wrong is not cooking for the AFL Grand final LOL
Weber Kettle 57cm, Weber Smokey Joe, Hark Gas smoker,ProQ Excel Elite 20
Sjcampbell

Post by Sjcampbell »

My son is cooking for that :)
Cheers
Steve

mb403

Post by mb403 »

Wish i could add something to help with beef ribs.. my beefys suck everytime. Even the wifey agrees with me instead of being nice lol.. mine always come out too chewy..

OCAU.COM & AUSSIEPITMASTERS Forum Member
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Beef Ribs need roughly 7 hours @225F (107C), just salt and pepper rub then set and forget!

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Sjcampbell

Post by Sjcampbell »

Post final update.

Korean style beef ribs were scored both sides and rubbed BBQ pit boys SPG and placed in Kamado at 120C for Seven hours. Pork ribs had the membrane scored and rubbed with SPG and cooked at 120C for 5 hours. Pork ribs given 3 slathers of BBQ Pit Boys Honey Chipotle sauce at 10 min intervals before taking off to rest. No Texas crutch.

AWESOME!!!!! pork ribs still had a nice bite and plenty of flavour from the rub and sauce. As for the Koren beef ribs, I haven't eaten this style of rib before. The meat, as has been said it different previous threads, is a lean layer separated by a small band of fat to the meat between the bones. I cooked it bone up for the first three hours to keep juices flowing in to the leaner meat and the cooked bone down for the remaining four hours. Both layers were as soft as pulled pork. The leaner layer, although coarser was still quite soft and easy to eat hanging on to the "handle".

Sorry there are no pictures but the wife was in Sydney visiting her mum and came home on the train - which was late!!!!! Thus making the final dinner prep a bit of a panic as its a half hour drive from our farm to the station.
Cheers
Steve