low n slow leg of lamb

Post your recipe requests and cooking questions in this setion. Not for general discussions.
HugoBoss

low n slow leg of lamb

Post by HugoBoss »

Hi
What temp and for how long should i cook a leg of lamb if i want to do it low and slow ?
Bob S

Re: low n slow leg of lamb

Post by Bob S »

Generally, the larger a piece of meat is, the lower the cooking temperature should be. The reason is that cooking a large piece of meat over a hot fire causes the outside layers to be overdone by the time the inside is cooked medium rare. So, I'd try it at 225F and would cook until a fast read digital thermometer inserted into the thickest portion, but not on a bone, indicated it was cooked to your liking. As to time, that is difficult to say, there are simply too many factors which influence it. Generally speaking, I find it will cook faster than it would in an electric oven set to the same temperature. For example, I can cook a 19 lb. turkey in 3 hours in my Vision kamado at 375F, whereas it would take 3.5-4 hours in my electric oven at the same temperature.
Lovey
Forum Moderator

Re: low n slow leg of lamb

Post by Lovey »

G'day Hugo,
a leg of lamb is not the best cut to do 'low n slow' as it is a lean cut of meat and it's better suited to a roast. A shoulder joint on the other hand has lots of connective tissue and is fattier, which makes it more suitable to the 'low n slow' style cooking as the connective tissue breaks down and the fat renders to keep the meat moist during the long cook time.
If you want to do a 'low n slow' leg, you'll need to keep it moist during the cook or it will dry out and become really tough. You could inject it with some stock, or wrap it to stop the moisture escaping.
All the best,
Steve