JERKY JERKY JERKY

Post your recipe requests and cooking questions in this setion. Not for general discussions.
steinyboys

JERKY JERKY JERKY

Post by steinyboys »

All I see is pulled pork Brisket chicken, only one thread in 8 pages had bit about Jerky, I love the stuff! but not really sure how to go about it, and am sick of all those American U tube clips, I am sure there is some Aussies now how to cook some great JERKY! Please tell me how and we can all benefit from sound advice on some delicious jerky on our plate
Mick
Weber Kettle 57cm, Weber Smokey Joe, Hark Gas smoker,ProQ Excel Elite 20
niko123456

Post by niko123456 »

I'm not a jerky fan, but can you tell me.. Is it one if those things where home made is 1000x better than any crap you'd by at a shop?

Because the stuff you but at the shop... Blrurhfjfks aubdisg.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
steinyboys

Re: JERKY JERKY JERKY

Post by steinyboys »

Hi niko I am sure the home made will be owsum, and am looking forward for some great recipes to land in this thread soon, the ones I have seen on u tube look delicious but am sure some Aussie stuff will be even better
Mick
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

Pretty simple once you decide whether you are a thick or thin type of Jerky person. I use round, top or bottom, just about any non marbled, non striated cut will do, I am never sure if our cuts translate to yours, Pick your marinade and seasoning, leave it in that about 48 hours, set your unit up to go as low as possible, mine will get down to about 150°F (65°C), and at that temperature it can take 3-6 hours, depending on thickness and the consistency you like.

I used to be a huge fan of the thin, very dry sheet, have altered my preference in the last few years and have become drawn to the thicker strip!...Good luck!

Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

steinyboys

Post by steinyboys »

Wow Bently Thats what I am talking about love it so hungry looking at that spread, and yes I think a little bit thicker would be nice not sure how low my kettle will go? but am on my way to butcher as we speak, I have herd that flank steak is good option, just not sure how tender it will be? the beef cuts I am familiar with are silverside top side round and rump so are you referring to the round in your cook? The rump might work well?
cheers Mick
wedwards

JERKY JERKY JERKY

Post by wedwards »

If you want nice soft jerky, cut against the grain. If you want to give your jaws a workout, cut with the grain. I also prefer thick cut.

My starting recipe is usually soy sauce, maple syrup and finely diced ginger and chilli. I just mix it up to taste then marinate the meat in it in the refrigerator overnight then on smoker on lowest temp.

It gets eaten so fast in my house I don't bother using a cure, but if you're going to keep it for a long time or are smoking it when the weather is warm you might want to add a little just to be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

Sorry about time difference! I think, now that you mention it what you call Silverside is what we call round, and yes, those pieces were Top Round (rear legs of the steer)...tenderness should not be an issue if you marinade enough...
steinyboys wrote:but am on my way to butcher as we speak, I have herd that flank steak is good option, just not sure how tender it will be? the beef cuts I am familiar with are silverside top side round and rump so are you referring to the round in your cook? The rump might work well?
cheers Mick
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

Bentley

Post by Bentley »

You make that Jerky yet?

Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

steinyboys

Post by steinyboys »

Hi Bently can only find time for a long and slow cook over the weekend, but Have just bought the meat and will marinate tomorrow overnight, and do a slow cook on Saturday. I am going to try for about 5 hours at 150F does that sound right? will do some pics hope I nail it first time Still waiting for my PROQ Excell Elite to arrive so will be doing this one in my Hark gas smoker as the kettle wont have the room, having said that will do some in the kettle as a comparison over the gaser :lol: :lol: :lol: :!: :!: :!:
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

Time and temp sound good...I would start checking at about 3 hours! Looking forward to the results!
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

steinyboys

Post by steinyboys »

I am struggling to keep the temp low on my hark gas smoker have managed to crank the gas tape back to just open to get to 150F is this ok to do? never used a gas tap like this before and whats the top temp for Jerky can I go up to 180F ? And do I have the water pan full for a Jerky cook? just doing a test fire for my cook tomorrow any advice on getting the temp right in the Hark appreciated
Mick
jaybeau

Post by jaybeau »

Nice work Bentley.
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

steinyboys wrote:I am struggling to keep the temp low on my hark gas smoker have managed to crank the gas tape back to just open to get to 150F is this ok to do? never used a gas tap like this before and whats the top temp for Jerky can I go up to 180F ? And do I have the water pan full for a Jerky cook? just doing a test fire for my cook tomorrow any advice on getting the temp right in the Hark appreciated
Mick
Gas smokers run hot...it's just the way they are! On ebay you can get an adjustable regulator, that'll help, but careful the flame doesn't go out.
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

I do them at 180 on the Memphis Pro, so no issues Buddy! Just make sure to check consistency of your meat starting at about 3 hours!
steinyboys wrote:I am struggling to keep the temp low on my hark gas smoker have managed to crank the gas tape back to just open to get to 150F is this ok to do? never used a gas tap like this before and whats the top temp for Jerky can I go up to 180F ? And do I have the water pan full for a Jerky cook? just doing a test fire for my cook tomorrow any advice on getting the temp right in the Hark appreciated
Mick
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

steinyboys

Post by steinyboys »

Well its been 4 hours now and looks and feels like an old boot not sure if another hour will make any difference doh might be a bit thick as well will put some pics in after but might put this down as a FAIL :cry: :cry: :cry: