Smoking Fruit

Post your recipe requests and cooking questions in this setion. Not for general discussions.
garthur

Smoking Fruit

Post by garthur »

Hi

Have any of you guys ever tried smoking fruit such as pears, lemons, oranges etc. I assume you would smoke them with pellets like cheese. If anyone has are there any ideas of timing issues to watch for etc.

I am going to have a go so will post any results.

Grant from Grass Valley
garthur

Re: Winter BBQ Speakeasy

Post by garthur »

Hi

I punched some holes in an orange and cold smoked it in the weber while smoking cheese. It didn't take up a smoky flavour inside. The skin had a smoky smell but the flesh of the orange absorbed little any. Will try again with bigger holes and cutting it in half.

TA

Grant from Grass Valley
flyonline

Re: Smoking Fruit

Post by flyonline »

I smoked some whole D'argen (prune) plums this year and while they were moderately smokey it wasn't something that I'd want to eat on it's own. Want to try again this year and do it longer to dry them out more to get more of a prune finish and then use them in chutneys and the like.
garthur

Re: Smoking Fruit

Post by garthur »

Hi

I will keep trying citrus stuff. I want to use it to make smoky cocktails. I have tried a cocktail made from smoked pineapple and it was great. Will keep posting here if I have any success.

TA

Grant from Grass Valley