cold smoked bacon question

Post your recipe requests and cooking questions in this setion. Not for general discussions.
skuzy

Post by skuzy »

HI folks

Trying to make the most of winter before its over.. and would like to try cold smoked bacon.

ive only ever done hot smoked bacon using a 50/50 salt sugar mix

This time i intend to add pink salt because of the cold smoke process + maple syrup (instead of sugar) for flavoring.

Some of the finer points to this process iam stuck with:
1) after more reading i will do the cold then hot smoke process. Therefore do u cold smoke to time, then hot smoke to temp?
2) since iam finishing off with hot smoke - should i bother with the pink salt?
3) If YES with Pink Salt, do i need to factor in the Maple syrup liquid when calculating how much pink salt to add.

Cheers
Bentley

Re: cold smoked bacon question

Post by Bentley »

Wet curing some right now, will be ready for smoke on 25th. Will Cold Smoke for about 12 hours then warm smoke till 135°F Internal temperature.

To your questions, I like the Nitrates in my Bacon, like the flavor, so I have Modern Cure #1 in my Wet Cure, if you plan on being over 40°F and under 140°F for over 4 hours, I would recommend the nitrates, but if you are salt curing, you should be OK with any surface bacteria. I also like to make sure I get a good Pellicle formation before I put it in the smoke.

Base the Pink Salt on weight of meat if Dry curing.

Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

skuzy

Post by skuzy »

Thanks for ur input bently.
Im assuming u take the meat up to 140F to stop the fat from rendering? I have taken mine to 150f when hot smoking.

I'd love to know more about your wet cure mate if u can share ;)

Cheers
wedwards

Post by wedwards »

If you are truly cold smoking at winter night time temps (which is how I did mine), you don't need nitrates. Botulism can only grow in certain temp ranges. Learn what those are and work within those confines during winter - summer is a different matter. I don't hit smoke my bacon - it's frozen in cut slices and cooked anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bentley

Re:

Post by Bentley »

It is very simple, and can have unlimited variations I guess. Maple syrup, Apple juice, black pepper, honey, etc...

I only needed 1 gallon of water (3.7L) to cover both the loin and picnic, so it was:
1 Cup Kosher Salt
3/4 Cup Brown Sugar
1/4 Cup Modern Cure#1 (Ratio is 1/4 Cup to each gallon)

I cure for 14 day.

I use an old cat litter container that was sterilized, and make sure the temp for curing stays about 38-40°F (3.3-4.4°C)

6 more days and we will see! :shock:
skuzy wrote: I'd love to know more about your wet cure mate if u can share ;)

Cheers
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

wedwards

Post by wedwards »

I always calculate the amount of cure (and therefore the brine) based on the weight of the meat to be cured - that amount of cure seems like a LOT to me. Always follow the instructions on the packet of your cures - its real easy to make yourself sick from that stuff. If you ever eat something cured and it tingles on your tongue, DO NOT EAT IT.
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

Dry curing and Wet Curing are two different animal's! I been doing it for quite awhile and it is not only the correct amount for a Wet Brine, I am still alive and well!
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

wedwards

Post by wedwards »

Bentley wrote:Dry curing and Wet Curing are two different animal's! I been doing it for quite awhile and it is not only the correct amount for a Wet Brine, I am still alive and well!
Yep the two methods are definately different - just seemed like a lot to me, but hey you're alive so bonus!! :)