Beef Chuck. cooking temp and times?

Post your recipe requests and cooking questions in this setion. Not for general discussions.
Dez

Post by Dez »

Hi all. I have a 6kg beef chuck to go into the offset tomorrow. Just wondering what temp yas reckon I should smoke it at? Been reading some of the older threads and am still undecided. Also, I know this is a how long is a piece of string type question, but.. How long roughly y'all think it will take? Its the biggest lump of beef I've ever smoked, so hoping its not gonna be a 20hr cook or I better get the smoker fired up soon.
Cheers.
Dez.
Muppet

Post by Muppet »

I did a 4.5kg chuck in the kamado a few weeks back, unwrapped at 225f it was over 16hrs. Franklin says he does his cooks at 275f so one would think it works well, wrapping at the stall will speed things up too. My bet is 14ish hours for that size with a wrap at 275f... But that's a total guess
Baby steps...
Current Weaponry - Saffire Kamado, Treager Junior, Outdoorchef 57, Performer 46, 'Fooseball' Grill, Hibachi
Dez

Re: Beef Chuck. cooking temp and times?

Post by Dez »

Thanks. 275 sounds good to me. Wrappping at the stall also sound good. I was hoping for a 12 hour cook, but given how thick the slab of meat is, it seemed unlikely.
Would cutting it in half be a good way to speed things up. Or would I be loosing out in some way by doing that?
Card Shark

Re: Beef Chuck. cooking temp and times?

Post by Card Shark »

Sports book should run a book for us BBQ punters :D Or beachbum, new comp, estimating cooking times on xyz ? :idea:

16 with a rest done at 250 grate temp till 200 internal. No wrapping crap to mushy the bark. Big piece of fatty meat with plenty of blood. Will likely end up 4.5 lean and fantastic.