Bacon Curing Question

Post your recipe requests and cooking questions in this setion. Not for general discussions.
wedwards

Bacon Curing Question

Post by wedwards »

So I am doing my first lot of nitrite cured bacon. Did 2 pork bellies. One was 200gm bigger than the other. Adjusted nitrite level accordingly. After 6 days the smaller belly was cured as expected, and gone pretty stiff. The rind looks yellow and the meat has that cured look (kind of like jerky) about it. The larger belly seems to have not cured as thoroughly and is not stiff, but a bit pliable. The rind is a pale white colour, but the outside fat and meat look cured and feel a bit hard. I suspect that I needed to cure this one for longer or used more nitrite.

My intention was to use the proq cold smoke generator for smoking them, and the bacon would be cooked before eating. My question, is whether this almost-cured pork belly is going to make anyone sick or not if I do this? Im assuming the cooking process would kill any bugs, but I look to the collective wisdom for some guidance. I suppose I could mix up another batch of salt and nitrite and let it go a bit longer for a few days, but didnt want to do that if I dont have to. Also dont have time to hot smoke it until Sunday, so it would sit in fridge until then in its current state.

The recipe I used was as follows;

2lb pork belly

1/2 cup brown sugar/maple syrup
1/4 cup salt
1/4 tsp ground thyme
1/2 tsp ground bay leaf
1/2 tsp granulated garlic
1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
1/2 tsp sodium nitrite
gnol

Re: Bacon Curing Question

Post by gnol »

If you hot smoke it you should be fine.
I've had odd weighted pieces in the past that came out like you describe. Actually have 3 bellies I will dry cure later today.
Haven't had a problem yet.
urbangriller

Re: Bacon Curing Question

Post by urbangriller »

I doubt there will be a problem, but keep this in your head:

Cooking will certainly kill any "Bugs", but it's not the bugs that are the problem most of the time.

It's the waste product the "Bugs" (depending on which Bug) produce, it is a serious neurotoxin, and is not killed or neutralised by cooking.

Its been under cure the whole time so the chance of infection in the bacon is slim....just take the usual precautions, use the suspect piece first and don't keep it too long.

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!