Pizza Question

Post your recipe requests and cooking questions in this setion. Not for general discussions.
Gumb

Re: Pizza Question

Post by Gumb » Sun May 10, 2015 9:18 am

I never considered that but maybe I should have. I cooked at around 250f and just assumed that since they are pizza trays they could stand up to that.

Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg » Sun May 10, 2015 9:31 am

Gumb wrote:I never considered that but maybe I should have. I cooked at around 250f and just assumed that since they are pizza trays they could stand up to that.
They can definitely stand 250f, but I doubt they'd be very safe at 250c or the 350c often reached for kamado pizza.

Gumb

Post by Gumb » Sun May 10, 2015 9:39 am

Oops sorry, I meant 250c. :oops:

Looking it up on Google, it seems that there's a bit of debate on this and on source says it's ok up to 260c. My tray wouldn't have got up to that in the short time it was in the oven.

Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg » Sun May 10, 2015 9:46 am

Oh ok, at 250c it might depend on the quality of the specific item.
Check out this from wikipedia: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polytetrafluoroethylene)
"Safety:
The pyrolysis of PTFE is detectable at 200 °C (392 °F), and it evolves several fluorocarbon gases and a sublimate. An animal study conducted in 1955 concluded that it is unlikely that these products would be generated in amounts significant to health at temperatures below 250 °C (482 °F).[28]
While PTFE is stable and nontoxic at lower temperatures, it begins to deteriorate after the temperature of cookware reaches about 260 °C (500 °F), and decomposes above 350 °C (662 °F).[citation needed] These degradation by-products can be lethal to birds,[29] and can cause flu-like symptoms[30] in humans."

Gumb

Post by Gumb » Sun May 10, 2015 9:52 am

Lucky I bought a pizza oven then. We had them last night. :D

kiwiman

Post by kiwiman » Sun May 10, 2015 11:53 am

I place the deflector on the grill rack which is on the riser, then i put the pizza stone on top of deflector stone. ( as shown by urbangriller somewhere). Heat it all up together for quite a while and never have a problem. No burnt base and good top.
Cook directly on stone--no tray needed.
Stewart
Image]Royal Kamado, Weber Q100e, Multikai Cooker, U-Bute portable, Auspit Rotisserie with firedish, Char-Griller , Italian portable charcoal grill, Weber One Touch Platinum, Dragon Hibachi.Weber Jumbo Joe, GMG Daniel Boone on loan

urbangriller

Post by urbangriller » Sun May 10, 2015 12:45 pm

kiwiman wrote:I place the deflector on the grill rack which is on the riser, then i put the pizza stone on top of deflector stone. ( as shown by urbangriller somewhere). Heat it all up together for quite a while and never have a problem. No burnt base and good top.
Cook directly on stone--no tray needed.
Stewart

Like this:

Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!

kiwiman

Post by kiwiman » Sun May 10, 2015 12:55 pm

That's the one--Thanks Chris.
Stewie
Image]Royal Kamado, Weber Q100e, Multikai Cooker, U-Bute portable, Auspit Rotisserie with firedish, Char-Griller , Italian portable charcoal grill, Weber One Touch Platinum, Dragon Hibachi.Weber Jumbo Joe, GMG Daniel Boone on loan