Roasting girello on family q

Post your recipe requests and cooking questions in this setion. Not for general discussions.
Mick_G

Post by Mick_G »

Hi all,
Sorry if this has been asked before but hoping to get some assistance.

In laws have got a 2kg girello roast which they want me to roast on the family Q.

This will be my first roast so not quite sure what to do. I am thinking of putting a rub on it before roasting but haven't decided on the type of rub. I'd be looking to make my own rather than buying from shops.

I am looking for help with temp to roast it at and what internal temp I need to get the meat to before taking it off.

Also any assistance on how to set the bbq to reach the desired temp would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Michael
chrisg

Re: Roasting girello on family q

Post by chrisg »

:)

Specifics no but had this discussion quite a while back. It's a cut of meat that tends to look better than it really is, very lean and not a mass of flavour unless you spend a lot of time on it.

I do buy smaller ones from time to time but my preferred thing to do with them is make a wellington, the last was seared, slathered in liverwurst, topped with a good coating of sliced mushrooms and wrapped in hot water pastry. It came out good but quite a bit of work :)

I'll let others make their suggestions.

Cheers
beachbums

Post by beachbums »

Only tried Girello once and overcooked it, pretty dry :(

Maybe give something like this a go, sounds nice?...... http://www.bestrecipes.com.au/recipe/af ... L2779.html

Ingredients
1 kg roast (beef)
4 tbs spice mix
1 olive oil spray
Afghan Rub

1 tbs ground cinnamon
1 tbs ground cloves
1 tbs cumin seeds
1 tbs seeds cardamom ground
Garlic yoghurt sauce

2 cups natural Greek yoghurt
2 garlic clove crushed
1 pinch salt and pepper to taste
Method
STEP 1 Preheat oven to 180C.
STEP 2 Trim any fat from the beef and then cut approximately 6 deep slashes into the top and sides.
STEP 3 Combine Afghan Rub ingredients and rub all over the meat. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside for at least 30 minutes.
STEP 4 Place in a greased roasting pan and spray with olive oil spray.
STEP 5 Roast meat until it is cooked to preference, basting with meat juices once or twice during cooking.
STEP 6 Rest meat for 20-30 minutes before carving into slices across the grain.
STEP 7 Sauce: Add garlic and salt to yoghurt and place a dollop over meat or serve separately in a bowl.
Mick_G

Post by Mick_G »

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately I didn't have a say in the cut of meat and this is for Christmas Eve so don't have a lot of time to spend with it.
magste

Post by magste »

Maybe brine it overnight, then make a wet rub with mustard and spices, roast it indirect at 150-160C until 54-55C inner temp. Let it rest for 20mins in foil tent before slicing?
Magnus
---------------------------------------

A Q, a Keg & a Kettle
beachbums

Post by beachbums »

Mick_G wrote:Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately I didn't have a say in the cut of meat and this is for Christmas Eve so don't have a lot of time to spend with it.

Okey dokes Mick, Lets see if we can get something working for you. Looking around google it seems like there's divided opinion on whether to slow cook it or quick roast. So that ain't helping :D I'm guessing from your above that you won't have much time to spend with it is referring to being at the Relos? So you pretty much need to give it a quick rub and get it cooked?

Btw I believe that Girello is also known as "Eye of Round" so a search for that brings up heaps of stuff.

https://www.google.com.au/webhp?sourcei ... ound+roast

Here's a couple of addys to check out.....

A girl cooking one on a Gas BBQ .....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF__PV6_W-Y

A BBQ Brethren take on it ..... http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showt ... hp?t=17052

Cheers, Wayne
Bear

Post by Bear »

For a first ever attempt at a roast, this cut would not appear in a top 20 of choices. It can be really dry.
The opinions are correct, brine & slow cook or marinade/rub & fast (undercook), my suggestion is either way wrap it well with alfoil as you need to keep in that moisture.
Good luck.
Charcoal: 22.5" Weber OTP 2000 | Wood Oven: Al Forno Piemonte R8 | Portable: Weber GA 2006
Gasser: NG WeberQ 320 | Rotisserie: Gaganis custom dual spit | Smoker: 18.5" WSM 2004
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Brine it in red wine and garlic....you have to get some flavour and moisture into it.
Wrap it in bacon and roast hard and fast, stop when it is rare and let it rest 20 minutes before carving....make heaps of gravy!

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Mick_G

Post by Mick_G »

Thank you for the advice.. Plenty to think about.

Chris when you say roast hard and fast, can you please explain this for me? What temp, do I cook it on indirect heat?
Thanks
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Direct heat as hot as the Q will go!...you want colour on the bacon and have the fats to render and baste the meat, you could slather it with butter before the bacon for a bit of extra ooomph!
Once you have good colour all around you could drop the temperature and cruise to temperature, you are looking for 45C internal, then remove, wrap in baking paper then foil and let rest 20 minutes while you make gravy.

For the Brine, a bottle of good red, 1 tablespoon of table salt and 250ml water, add some crushed garlic ground pepper and some fresh sage leaves, put the whole thing in a bag, squeeze out the air and seal the bag, put it in the fridge overnight.

Make sure you rest! 20 minutes!

Cheers
Chris
Mick_G

Post by Mick_G »

Thank you for the recipe and instructions
Mick_G

Post by Mick_G »

Made the roast last night. Followed the advice from Chris with the brine and searing the beef with the bacon. I then cooked the roast on indirect heat on 150d with the brine underneath the roast for about 2 hours until internal temp reached 65d. Rested it for about 30 mins before serving. It was nice and juicy. It didn't dry out which I was happy about. I need to find out how to post pics so I can show the final roast when serving.
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Good to hear!

Posting pics: http://www.aussiebbq.info/forum/viewtop ... f=5&t=5380

Cheers
Chris
Mick_G

Post by Mick_G »

Sorry for the very late pics... ImageImage