Using Caul Fat Questions........

Post your recipe requests and cooking questions in this setion. Not for general discussions.
beachbums

Using Caul Fat Questions........

Post by beachbums »

HI All, Need to pick the collective brain here........

Got a recipe in mind for the New to Me Competition coming up and thinking of using Caul Fat to keep the cook moist. Not having ever used it before anyone got any tips?

I have few questions off the top of my head and no doubt will think of a few more as we go along.

So, How long will it keep in the fridge? Can you freeze it for later use? Any tips on how to get the best results? And most important where can I score some in Perth? Prefer south of the river.

Thanks in advance peoples.

Cheers, Wayne and Jan
urbangriller

Re: Using Caul Fat Questions........

Post by urbangriller »

Hi Wayne, effectively Caul is fat wrapped in a collagen "web"., You'll generally buy it frozen and if you don't leave it hanging around , you can refreeze it.

Keep it cold and wet when you are using it, you can wrap anything you want in it, it is reasonably strong. When you've done wrapping, go back into the fridge to set it, the heat of your hands will start to soften caul.

Give our mates at Eurostyle a Caul......get it?

Great stuff to work with!

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
beachbums

Post by beachbums »

urbangriller wrote:Hi Wayne, effectively Caul is fat wrapped in a collagen "web"., You'll generally buy it frozen and if you don't leave it hanging around , you can refreeze it.

Keep it cold and wet when you are using it, you can wrap anything you want in it, it is reasonably strong. When you've done wrapping, go back into the fridge to set it, the heat of your hands will start to soften caul.

Cheers
Chris

Hi Chris, Thanks for the advice and tips. I wondered if Eurostyle might have it. After a freezer hiccup I need to go up and get some more ribs so will grab some then. Now that the lunchbar is gone I'm guessing you'll be at BBQ HQ? I'll drop in and say hi while i'm there.

Cheers, Wayne
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

beachbums wrote:
urbangriller wrote:Hi Wayne, effectively Caul is fat wrapped in a collagen "web"., You'll generally buy it frozen and if you don't leave it hanging around , you can refreeze it.

Cheers
Chris

Hi Chris, Thanks for the advice and tips. I wondered if Eurostyle might have it. After a freezer hiccup I need to go up and get some more ribs so will grab some then. Now that the lunchbar is gone I'm guessing you'll be at BBQ HQ? I'll drop in and say hi while i'm there.

Cheers, Wayne
Yep. I'll be at BBQ HQ (or the pub accross the road :oops: )

Chris
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

My money is on the pub :)
beachbums

Post by beachbums »

urbangriller wrote:
beachbums wrote:

Cheers
Chris

Cheers, Wayne
Yep. I'll be at BBQ HQ (or the pub accross the road :oops: )

Chris
Gumb wrote:My money is on the pub :)

Hmmm.................. I'll check there first then :D :D

Jan and I quite often pull into the market at Eurostyle and have a fossick around.Grabbed a bite at the Asian buffet last time. Pretty good for the money. :D

Now, where can I find a nice fat wabbit?

Cheers, Wayne
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

beachbums wrote: Now, where can I find a nice fat wabbit?

Cheers, Wayne
Frank the butcher in Wray av Freo has thye Baldivis farmed wabbit.....but, you have to drive past the farm!

58 Young Rd, Baldivis, WA 6171

cheers
Chris
beachbums

Post by beachbums »

urbangriller wrote:
beachbums wrote: Now, where can I find a nice fat wabbit?

Cheers, Wayne
Frank the butcher in Wray av Freo has thye Baldivis farmed wabbit.....but, you have to drive past the farm!

58 Young Rd, Baldivis, WA 6171

cheers
Chris
Ta Chris, I gather they sell from the farm gate then?

Cheers, Wayne
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Not sure Wayne...they'd be silly not to...that's the arddress on the bag.

Give em a call: tel:0895241636

Chris