Chicken Breasts

Post your recipe requests and cooking questions in this setion. Not for general discussions.
rancho sombrero

Chicken Breasts

Post by rancho sombrero »

Have some chicken to cook today - any tips?

I was going to season with fajita seasoning, crank to 300F and let it cook until it hits 180F.

As I bought the Kamoda primarily for low and slow smoking I'm not really across direct grilling on it (do you even leave the lid down?)

cheers!
Buccaneer

Re: Chicken Breasts

Post by Buccaneer »

rancho sombrero wrote:Have some chicken to cook today - any tips?

I was going to season with fajita seasoning, crank to 300F and let it cook until it hits 180F.

As I bought the Kamoda primarily for low and slow smoking I'm not really across direct grilling on it (do you even leave the lid down?)

cheers!
Try this.
Spatchcock it, season and oil it, get the kamado to 400f, cook it high away on a trivet or second rack and pull it out when your themometer I.T reads 160f. Oh yeah, lid down all the way.
Thank me later. :wink:
2015 Smokin In The City-Boarshank Redemption
Buccaneer, BeachBums, Alimac23, SilentBob!
rancho sombrero

Thanks - planning on splitting a whole chicken, but I have breasts defrosted today..
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

Light the charcoal and have it one one side of the fire box and get the oven up to about 400F. Put the breasts over the charcoal and shut the lid. Give them a couple of minutes (or until you get a nice colour and hopefully some grill marks) and turm them over and repeat with the lid shut. When you think the outside is fine, move them across to the non direct side and cook them through to your desired internal temp with the lid shut all the way through. I take mine off at about 150F and foil them for 5 minutes. You'll be amazed how moist chicken is in a kamado.

I like to put some Slap Ya Mama or Mad Hunky rub on them for some tang ! :D
rancho sombrero

I reverse seared steak using this method the other night (well, the reverse of this method). Best steak I've ever eaten, will be trying with chicken tomorrow (as I need to do about 5kg for a wedding next weekend)