Chook cooking question..

Post your recipe requests and cooking questions in this setion. Not for general discussions.
traveller

Chook cooking question..

Post by traveller »

Hey all..

I have brined some chicken pieces (2 chooks cut into 8 pieces) and am about to marinate them in Peri Peri overnight. Tomorrow I'll cook them using the Weber OTG kettle. Was thinking half chimney worth of heat beads setup for direct/indirect. Chicken pieces in and cooked indirect for around 30-40 minutes, then get the charcoal colour directly over the coals for 5-10 minutes at end..

Thoughts on cooking times and also how do I best setup the vents? Thanks!
Davo
Forum Administrator

Re: Chook cooking question..

Post by Davo »

traveller wrote:Hey all..

I have brined some chicken pieces (2 chooks cut into 8 pieces) and am about to marinate them in Peri Peri overnight. Tomorrow I'll cook them using the Weber OTG kettle. Was thinking half chimney worth of heat beads setup for direct/indirect. Chicken pieces in and cooked indirect for around 30-40 minutes, then get the charcoal colour directly over the coals for 5-10 minutes at end..

Thoughts on cooking times and also how do I best setup the vents? Thanks!
Hi Traveller,

When you say marinated in peri peri, do you mean a Peri Peri wet marinade or dry peri peri rub ?

I'd suggest you not get the Weber too hot because there'll be sugar in that wet marinade and it may burn & blacken, so yeah about half a chimney should do it.
I usually do the charcoal one side and the food the other side of the kettle but the original way of fire 2 sides will do the same thing.

If you wanted a hotter cook, then I would use the marinade as a baste towards the end of the cook and layer it so it'll develope the flavours and less chance of burning.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
traveller

Post by traveller »

Thanks Davo..

It's a wet marinade of oil, vinegar, lemon, spices, etc.. If it works out great I'll post the recipe. I was planning to do charcoal one side and chicken on the other side under the lid. Was thinking 180 temp, and I'll cook it to almost done (67c) . Then stick it over the coals and baste for the final stage to get it slightly crunchy but also well flavoured.. Rest a few minutes and serve.
Wobbly

Post by Wobbly »

Sounds like a tasty plan Traveller. Look forward to the pics and recipe for the marinade.
Last edited by Wobbly on Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Weber Family Q
57cm Black Charcoal Weber
47cm Maroon Charcoal Weber
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

yes...I'm really looking forward to seeing the results as well......i love peri peri :P

We'd also like to see the actual bbq with the tucker on it and how you've set up the coals...that actual serves as a learning curve for the new folks who are trying this out for the first time.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Wobbly

Post by Wobbly »

Davo wrote:...that actual serves as a learning curve for the new folks who are trying this out for the first time.
Err, yes, that would certainly include me!
Weber Family Q
57cm Black Charcoal Weber
47cm Maroon Charcoal Weber
traveller

Post by traveller »

Ok lads how do I upload the pics here? EDIT - SORTED IT!
Last edited by traveller on Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
traveller

Post by traveller »

Ok so I grabbed 2 no.17 chickens (free range..) and cut them into 8 pieces each. I then brined them for 4 hours in 1.5 ltrs water, 1/4 cup salt, 1/4 cup sugar, 1 tsp garlic flakes. Then pieces removed, rinsed and dried with paper towel.

Then I made a Peri Peri marinade by blending these.. (15ml tablespoon)

2 Birds Eye Chilli
1 Red Capsicum, veins and seeds removed, rough chopped
juice 1 lemon
2 tbls sweet paprika
1 tbls dried oregano
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup good red wine vinegar (or white wine, or plain vinegar would do..)
5 cloves crushed garlic
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Marinade made and chook bits in overnight.. *****Leave a little marinade aside for basting.*****
Last edited by traveller on Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.
traveller

Post by traveller »

Lit 2/3 a chimney of heat beads over the wok burner and tipped to the back of the Weber..

traveller

Post by traveller »

Lid down, both top and bottom vents wide open.. After a few minutes it was sitting on 160c. I placed the chicken bits around the beads and went lid down for about a half hour..

Then turned chicken, basted it with more marinade and lid back down..

traveller

Post by traveller »

FInal 10 minutes I put the pieces over the heat beads and kept them moving around until we got about 68c on the temp probe. Took them off for a 15 minutes rest then..

Eat, served with some extra sauce.. YUM!

Mickvr

Post by Mickvr »

They look great :D
But
If you've pre-brined the chook pieces, wouldn't the brining process stop the marinade from penetrating the meat ? (Its already chock full of liquid)
I'm not having a go at you, but find your method unusual.
Yeah you can dry the meat on the surface after brining, but the meat is still infused with the brine.
From everything I've learned so far, wouldn't you be better of incorporating the herbs and spices into the brine mix, they'd be taken into the meat a lot easier not having to combat meat fibres that have already been swollen by the brine.
My (present) understanding is, you've brined the chook, (or beef, pork whatever) the fibres are swollen, marinade becomes a waste of time and expense because the chook meat can't take on any more liquid. That leaves only the flavour of the basting fluid on the outer few mm of the meat as it dries out and is able to absorb some of the baste during the cooking process? Also the reason why dry rubs are used after brining.
I'm only a newbie, but I'd suggest incorporating your herbs and spices into the brine, if the end product is too in your face, cut the herbs and spices back a bit, it's cheaper because you need less H&S but the flavors should have better meat penetration.
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

That's right Mick, the effect of a marinade after a brine is minimal.
I put the Marinade flavours into the brine, then if I want the crust that a marinade gives, I'll make a mop with the same flavours to apply while cooking.

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

I've been using 'Game Changer Brine Mix' from Julian (Somokin J) with my last couple of chickens and they tatse fantastic!. I'll be buying that again.
peter

Post by peter »

G'day just new at this and would like a beginners brine mix for some chicken maryland for a trial run.

Am after guidance for cooking in Weber baby Q - where to set the control for temperature and time for about two kilos of chook

Kind regards

peter