chilli beans / con carne request

Post your recipe requests and cooking questions in this setion. Not for general discussions.
skuzy

Post by skuzy »

hi folks

got some time up my sleeve and looking to try something new...

any recommendations on a chilli beans / chilli concarne recipe i should try?

Cheers
chrisg

Re: chilli beans / con carne request

Post by chrisg »

:)

From scratch or not?

Canned beans have been so damned cheap of late that I admit have made a couple of Con Carnes with them recently.

If you don't want or have any in stock then need to soak some kidney beans but otherwise my usual recipe is something like this.

Don't often make it with beef mince any more, chicken mince makes a nice one, so around 500 gms of mince fried off after softening an onion with a few cloves of garlic in the pan and then add a whole red pepper sliced thin and your chili whichever way you are going, dried or fresh but plenty of it. The oil really should be skimmed down a bit, the TexMex don't :)

Let that all mingle a bit and then if you are planning to cook on the Q into a decent sized cast iron pot that will fit in your Q. If not then in a slow cooker works really well.

Add a couple of cans of diced tomatoes, a tablespoon of tomato paste and a can of water, then the soaked beans or canned and give it a good stir. Never hurts to adjust the chili, (add some more, for me usually a splash of Franks) and a grate of black pepper plus some bush spices and personally I always give it a good squeeze of lemon and a crumbled quill of cinnamon.

At this point the Mexican can take over, if I have some carrots around or some other root veg they can go in slivered - dunno how others do that I just use a veg peeler to peel them and keep going :) Carrot, parsnip, whatever :)

Remember this in the end is a chili stew as much as anything, so timing is not too critical, low heat is, so cover and put it on to cook.

It needs several hours of slow cooking to bring all the flavours together and it will thicken up nicely from the bean starch.

Serve with saffron rice or garlicky pasta or mashed potatoes, whatever suits - we often just have flat bread on the side and you can make some tortillas with it in a wrap with lettuce etc - delicious :)

Sorry I don't really generate recipes, tend to just create in the kitchen. :)

Cheers
gussigan

Post by gussigan »

i make this recipe quite a bit, it's delicious: http://www.gourmettraveller.com.au/reci ... con-carne/

and recently did a post on my blog where i incorporate some bbq elements to that above recipe http://gusfacegrillah.com/2014/05/03/th ... con-carne/
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Give or take a poofteenth what ChrisG said is pretty much what I do.
I find the addition of lots of the long mild red chili adds flavour without the heat. And it should be a little hot.
Paprika is another ingredient not mentioned. I've also made one with a pouch of taco seasoning that was a knockout.

The meat can be anything, and not just mince, meat strips or small cubes will also work.
Also, I've had better success in baking rather then on a stove top. Any BBQ with a lid will do it.
But you start off on a stove top. A Cast iron Dutch oven is perfect with its lid off if using a wood fired Q.
There are a million ways to do it .
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Ciapek

Post by Ciapek »

Yep Chris has pretty much given you the nuts and bolts of it.
I can add only this,
I once came across a recipe that stipulated that a true chilli con carne must have three elements of chilli in it, being, dried, fresh and pickled....this can make it very hot, so adjust for personal taste.
I've been making it with this threesome, strong fiery flavour, but no one else in the house will eat it....too hot !
Put up some pics and a recipe if you do make one.
Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
chrisg

Post by chrisg »

:)

Kind of adding in the gaps in what I sketched I guess :)

It's peasant food, often by far the best cuisine, like most things in the kitchen I tend to see what I have and have a little debate with myself on if there is any need to shop to fill in any flavour hollows.

Being I'm convinced those who shop for this household have some subliminal knowledge of a coming apocalypse additional shopping is rarely required - digging through the food stocks can be :)

Cheers
skuzy

Post by skuzy »

lol awesome. . I had a rough idea after years of eating stagg chilli but was keen to see what could be done to lift the taste..

Do u guys add any smoke flavor as well?

got a month off and going to try some different cooks with this time

thanks again gents

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
gussigan

Post by gussigan »

you can definitely add smoke, either by cooking the whole chili in a pot in a smoker or by smoking separate elements like i did with the pork shoulder in the above recipe

with that gourmet traveller recipe i also add a little bit of black coffee too - heard about that one when i was in the US and it adds an interesting element of flavour to it.

smells bloody weird at the start when you've got all the chocolate, coffee and cinnamon in there though!
chrisg

Post by chrisg »

Yeah,

Adding smoke can be good, more so if using cubes or strips, in which case I have smoked them first in the Q, usually the gas one with a smoke box, adds some real flavour.

Cheers
aussie

Post by aussie »

I fry up some whole Star Aniseed, Corriander and Cumin Seeds that I grind up with a coffee/spice grinder. 2 pods and a heaped teaspoon of each seed.

Ikg beef cubed (topside) browned one side only.

I large Red Onion diced.

2 beef cubes.

1 beef stock.

1 can of red kidney beans, refried beans and diced tomatoes.

2 Habenero chillies either fresh or smoked, 2 Jalapinos and a couple of either bananna chillies or mini capsicums.

1 snck sized pack of sultanans.

Dash of red wine, soy and worstishire sauce.

Some garlic, corriander and cumin powder.

I cook for about 3 hours on low heat and give it a stir to stop it sticking on the bottom (also a good time to taste test)

My sauce could be redder to fit more into a traditional feed, another tin of tomatoes would probably do it.
Gingz

Post by Gingz »

I like to use Brisket in my chilli con carne and a vanilla pod....and low and slow
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

Ahhh, Chili, almost as much variations and disputes in this country as which pit and wood is best!

Did the mystic Lady in Blue, Sister María de Ágreda invent it? Was it a product of the Texas penal system? Or was it the PO'ed Aztecs, who supposedly cut up invading Spanish conquistadors and made them into the dish! Chili's are all around the world are they not?

Beans, ahh, again what a controversy! Most Texan's will tell you don't call it a bowl of Red if it has beans in it! And which bean, most use pinto, but there are many recipes with different one...I am partial to great northern & navy beans in mine, when I make with beans! If I just want a bowl, it will usually be with beans, if I want it on a dog, no beans!

I am more partial to Cincinnati style Chili, and its roots go back to Greek immigrants here in the States! Go Figure! It is more what I think of as a Chili Dog type chili! I am not really into putting it on top of spaghetti and covering it with cheese!

Ingredients:

1 large onion, chopped
1 pound extra-fat (yeah it is supposed to say lean, but that is just plain dumb) ground beef (hamburger)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cumin*
1/2 teaspoon red (cayenne) pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa or 1/2 ounce grated unsweetened chocolate*
1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1/2 cup water

Preparation:

In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, sauté onion, ground beef, garlic, and chili powder until ground beef is slightly cooked.

Add allspice, cinnamon, cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, unsweetened cocoa or chocolate, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, cider vinegar, and water. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, 1 hour 30 minutes. Remove from heat.

With a little cheese and a bunch of sweet onion...Pretty good stuff on a good Dog!

Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

Grillnoob

Post by Grillnoob »

Interesting posts on Chilli,some ingredients I have never even thought of putting in mine.
Bentley cheers for the info on some of the history/versions of chilli in the States.
Did a pot of beans last week for a beer tasting session with the boys.
Beef mince
Pork mince
Pork loin chops
Soaked red beans
Soaked butter beans
onion
garlic
chilli powder
cayenne pepper powder
paprika powder
cumin powder
ground black pepper
salt
tinned tomatoes
Worcestershire sauce
American Mustard
Tomato paste
pint of stout
cooked until everything was tender,put a mixer in and pulsed up the beans a little to thicken the sauce.
mmmmmmm good
Last edited by Grillnoob on Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skuzy

Post by skuzy »

gents - thanks again for sharing all your recipes .. they certainly have the taste buds watering right now!!