Caramelised onions

Post your recipe requests and cooking questions in this setion. Not for general discussions.
Ultimo

Caramelised onions

Post by Ultimo »

Need to impress.

Last week I looked up a recipe for caramelised onions and got the one to soften the onions and add bbq sauce.
It was nice but I consider it a cheat.
Another one I saw had soft brown sugar and balsamic vinegar.
Can I have your tastiest caramelised onions recipe please?
urbangriller

Re: Caramelised onions

Post by urbangriller »

No Recipe, but Brown your onions in a mix of oil and butter. When soft and golden add Balsamic or Cider Vinegar to the pan, let that bubble for a bit then add brown or raw Sugar. Stir till it becomes the consistancy you want.....I go for an "Onion Jam" feel!

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Tasmaniac65

Post by Tasmaniac65 »

Yeh I am with Chris, I like to cook them in a small saucepan with a little oil and butter just enough to help nice and slow and a good inch or two deep. Once fairly soft add some balsamic and Brown sugar if it stays in the saucepan more Jam like as Chris said if you want a bit more colour tip into a frypan and still go slow and will colour up much faster, cheers
Coop
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

That's it!

I do mine in a frying pan and go to a pot at the balsamic stage....then sometimes I'm too lazy and it stays in the frying pan till it hits the steak! :oops:

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
chrisg

Post by chrisg »

:)

I must be old fashioned :)

I've never added sugar, just kept stirring the onion slices in butter to brown them completely and have them go completely limp but not fry. A bit of water helps then deglaze with a splash of balsamic at the end.

I'd always used big brown onions but of late since they are now readily available and not as expensive red onions work very well and are naturally sweeter.

Cheers
Ultimo

Post by Ultimo »

I am a lurker and don't really post.

I just realised that I never responded to these replies.

Thanks, I used the tips here and my caramelised onions are my signature BBQ dish now.

I add a dash of chilli hot sauce for a little zing.

Thanks again.