Best way to cook Budget Scotch Fillet?

Post your recipe requests and cooking questions in this setion. Not for general discussions.
Tasmaniac65

Post by Tasmaniac65 »

HI all,
I am again trying a piece of budget Scotch Fillet from the local IGA mostly cause I can't help myself when I see it so cheap @ $9kg. I have tried Normal sear and reverse as one piece but as yet not slow to temp and then cutting into nice steaks and searing quickly on faces.
Would love to hear suggestions or opinions, there is a little fat through but not much, cheers
Tas
urbangriller

Re: Best way to cook Budget Scotch Fillet?

Post by urbangriller »

I'd go Route 66!

Bring it up to temp: 55C then hard sear the outside, let it rest for 20 min, then slice thinly, like roast beef.

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Buccaneer

Post by Buccaneer »

Chu kang yu!!!
Similar to Char siu!
2015 Smokin In The City-Boarshank Redemption
Buccaneer, BeachBums, Alimac23, SilentBob!
beachbums

Post by beachbums »

Good question Tas, Jan and I have a chunk of IGA Scotch as well we picked up the other day. It's a bit tougher than I'd like for steaks so I'd give Chris's Route 66 a go ( If I hadn't already sliced mine into steaks :roll: )

Been looking around the net for ideas and as we're on a bit of a Korean kick atm found the recipe below. Haven't tried it yet but might be worth slicing a bit of yours and giving it a test run?

The recipe's blatantly stolen from over here ........ http://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/bulgogi-sliders

Cheers, Wayne and Jan

INGREDIENTS

½ kiw ifruit, peeled, chopped
1 garlic clove
2 tsp caster sugar
½ tsp sesame oil
2 spring onions
200 g frozen thinly sliced beef (see Note), defrosted or scotch fillet steak, thinly sliced
2 tbsp w hole egg mayonnaise
2 tbsp gochujang (Korean chilli paste) (see Note), plus extra, to serve
1 tbsp vegetable oil
8 Chinese mantou (flow er buns) (see Note), w armed
8 small lettuce leaves
½ small carrot, shredded
Pickled cucumber
1 small Lebanese cucumber, seeded, thinly sliced
1 tbsp gochujang (Korean chilli paste) (see Note)
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp brow n rice vinegar or w hite vinegar
½ tsp caster sugar
½ tsp soy sauce
½ tsp sesame seeds, toasted

INSTRUCTIONS

Using a mortar and pestle, grind kiw ifruit and garlic to a paste, then combine w ith sugar, sesame oil and spring onions in a bow l. Add
beef, cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
Meanw hile, combine mayonnaise and gochujang in a small bow l and set aside.
To make pickled cucumber, combine all ingredients in a bow l and set aside.
Heat 2 tsp oil on a barbecue plate or heavy-based frying pan over high heat. Cook half the beef, turning halfw ay, for 2 minutes each
side or until brow ned. Remove w ith a slotted spoon, discarding juices, and roughly chop. Repeat w ith remaining oil and beef.
Split mantou buns open and fill w ith lettuce, carrot, pickled cucumber, bulgogi beef and chilli mayonnaise. Serve immediately w ith extra
gochujang
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

The lovely wife brought home a tray of cheap scotch fillet, Enough for two meals.
The first lot was just grilled. It was tender but totally bland. Couldn't taste any grain or grass,.
Sooo , the next night (tonight)I sprinkled some old bay rub, then some pepper then heavily salted it to dry brine for 40 minutes ( Thick steaks) , Rinsed it all off then oiled and onto the grill.
I successfully turned a crap steak into a good steak.
I chose the words Crap and Good real careful :wink:
I strongly recommend experimenting in short dry salt brining. The salt took the old bay spice right through the meat 8)
All eaters said much better.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Nath

Post by Nath »

Very interesting Mick, definately keep that method in mind

Nath (formerly busio90)
Nath