Turkey Legs?

Post your recipe requests and cooking questions in this setion. Not for general discussions.
Tasmaniac65

Turkey Legs?

Post by Tasmaniac65 »

Hi all, I have some Turkey legs management brought home from Woolies assuming I could cook them up.
What do you suggest as good preparation and cooking methods possible for either Q300 or dare I say it, inside in slow cooker or oven?
I have searched but not a lot on this area of meat
I would assume brining is a must at least overnight usual salt, brown sugar and cider vinegar and/or apple juice and maybe some Sage or similar? And some slow cooking?
Cheers
Tas
Last edited by shayneh2006 on Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved from Poultry Recipes
Nath

Re: Turkey Legs?

Post by Nath »

Tasmaniac65 wrote: possible for either Q300 or dare I say it, inside in slow cooker or oven?

Cheers
Tas

I wouldn't Dare!
You've got the right idea with brining - if it was me I would probably dry the skin after brining and roast in your Q.
Probably wouldn't bother with low-n-slow but some others might chime in here.
I recall Shayne doing some turkey legs rotisserie style over charcoal.
Nath
titch

Post by titch »

I would do as Busio suggested, get that skin crispy, that's the only taste in Turkey In MHO
Cheers
Titch
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

Try brining in 1 litre of milk with 3/4 tablespoon of salt and 3/4 tablespoon sugar, 1/2 a blended up small onion and some earthy spices of your choice. Brine for 5 - 8 hours. Dry well and rub some oil into the skin cook on the Q indirect at about 220C for 35 - 45 minutes serve with a fruit chutney.
You could also baste/marinate with sharwoods tandoori paste, slather it on well. Leave it marinate for 4 hours then cook indirect on high heat for 10 minutes then grill direct at about 220C, but sitting on the trivet for 20 minutes, turn a couple of ties, again serve with a fruit chutney

Cheers

Captain
Tasmaniac65

Post by Tasmaniac65 »

Thank you gents looking forward to giving this a go in a day or so, cheers
Tas
Angryman65

Post by Angryman65 »

Tasmaniac65,

I did some Turkey Wings using the Captains brine, drying the skin and then covering in a spice rub and they turned out pretty good.

Posted here http://www.aussiebbq.info/forum/viewtop ... =7&t=11301.

You'll get lots of good ideas from the contributors here.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for bad hunter.
peteru

Post by peteru »

I did a pair of "Dinosaur drumsticks" just last week. 6% brine for about 10 hours, then pull back the skin and pat dry it. Sit in front of a fan for about 10-15 minutes to dry the skin just a bit more. While the skin is drying, get a twig or two of fresh rosemary, strip the rosemary leaves off and mix with some butter. Rub the rosemary butter on the meat and under the skin, then pull the skin back and rub more rosemary butter on top. I gave it about 90 minutes at 110C, indirect, then ramped up the heat to about 180C to colour the skin and get the internal temp to about 77C.

Post by Tasmaniac65 »

Have pretty much gone with the Captains suggestion, brined in milk but as my legs are huge the cook is taking at least an hour probably longer even at over 200c
Post photos and result later
Tasmaniac65

Post by Tasmaniac65 »

Here are the legs in brine and cooking
Tasmaniac65

Post by Tasmaniac65 »

We'll the result was a thumbs up from the family, clearly these huge legs do need lots of seasoning and even with kids I would use more next time especially in the brine. I also marinated during cooking with a simple mixture of BBQ Sauce, ginger, lea & Perrins and a few extra bits...
Here is the finished product
Meat was nice and juicy and tasty cook was 1 1/4 hrs at 200-220c to reach 80c internal.
Thanks Captain great recipe cheers mate.
Next time I will cook a bit longer and slower prob just 2 hrs or so. To be honest I was surprised they didn't dry out at all and will also let go a bit longer to pull meat off bone a bit easier.

I have spent too long not posting pics of cooks so it is time to put in the effort now, cheers
Tas
Tasmaniac65

Post by Tasmaniac65 »

Haven't done Turkey Legs for ages and when they stared at me in the Shop the other day couldn't say no.
I will brine during the day but I remember reading to get Poultry to be more "fall off the bone" you need to hold it at about 80c for 1/2 hr or so?
So what temp do I cook them at to achieve this, do I cook as normal hot at around 200c but then simply turn it way down as they approach this temp so as to sit for a while without over cooking or go slowly to temp and then stop at 80 ish for a while, not sure?
Coop
Rosie M

Post by Rosie M »

Some really good recipes and techniques that I was searching for ages. Going to try them ASAP. Thanks for sharing
Tasmaniac65

Post by Tasmaniac65 »

well this time I let it get close to temp running at 160c then turn it way down and they sat at around 80c for 1/2 hr which really makes a difference
Brining the Legs is a real cheap dinner for family at less than $10 for 1.75kg pretty good feed
cheers
Coop