Stuffing in a Chook and dangers!!!!!!

Post your recipe requests and cooking questions in this setion. Not for general discussions.
chrisg

Re: Stuffing in a Chook and dangers!!!!!!

Post by chrisg »

Interesting, the reports from the US and Europe were the other way around, caged chickens were infected with bad feed.

I usually get my eggs from a local farmer, his chooks just roam around in a spare paddock and overnight in an unused barn. I've been there when his kids are feeding them several times, just a big bucket of corn.

My mother reminded me last year just how big her father's chicken eggs were - she has one that was blown and painted, makes even what I buy look small :) It's a pity my farmer doesn't sell chickens for the table very often, the family run a couple of restaurants and his birds all go to those.

Cheers
travelling_gerry

Post by travelling_gerry »

Bad feed is bad whatever the raising system.

What I was referring to was when they put feed out in free range and barn systems it gets contaminated by the birds themselves crapping in it etc as opposed to the cleaner feed outside of cages.

This consequently means disease moves through a flock a lot quicker and hense the higher death rates and lower egg recovery rates for barn and free range systems.
chrisg

Post by chrisg »

Ah, herd contamination - has echoes in the vaccination debate, makes sense, see what you are saying.

Of course need infection in the first place but a lot of vectors.

Cheers