Dry rub Curing (Bacon)

Post your recipe requests and cooking questions in this setion. Not for general discussions.
Smokey

Re: Dry rub Curing (Bacon)

Post by Smokey »

Hey guys,
Can I have permission to take your calculation contributions and arange them into a revised OP at the very head of this thread?
Of course I will state all kudos to the contributors.
I wont get around to do this until next weekend so plenty time for revision and what I place can also be debated and tweaked.

Tks
SM
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Wootsauce

Post by Wootsauce »

Using safe levels of nitrites, is it possible to over cure bacon by curing for too long of a period of time?
I am aware each piece of meat is different, but I have read that curing times can vary from 5 days to 14+ days.
How long can it safely be left to cure?

Personally I would prefer to stay on the safe side and use the recommended level or slightly less and cure for longer (as long as it is safe to do so)

Cheers,
Woot!
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Wootsauce wrote:Using safe levels of nitrites, is it possible to over cure bacon by curing for too long of a period of time?
I am aware each piece of meat is different, but I have read that curing times can vary from 5 days to 14+ days.

Personally I would prefer to stay on the safe side and use the recommended level or slightly less and cure for longer (as long as it is safe to do so)

Cheers,
Woot!
Chris said it better , Next post down :oops:
Last edited by Smokey on Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Wootsauce wrote:Using safe levels of nitrites, is it possible to over cure bacon by curing for too long of a period of time?

Cheers,
Woot!
Woot,

There are too many variables to give an easy answer, but simply, yes you can cure too long!

That's what we are doing here, searching for a basic formulae that everyone can start with.

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
neophyte

Post by neophyte »

I have been following this topic with interest as I plan to try curing some bacon myself.
While searching the net I found this document which definitively describes the levels of Nitrites in cured meat for American USDA inspectors.
The maximum permissible level of Nitrite in dry cured bacon is 200ppm (180ppm if skin is on) of the raw meat weight.
So the calculations for 150 ppm seem to be pretty well spot on.

The document can be found at the following link.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/59945726/9/NI ... Y-PRODUCTS
Burnt offerings

Post by Burnt offerings »

Hey Smokey Mick,

Of course you can use what I have contributed, if you feel it will help.

I'm looking forward to what you can find regarding the amount of salt and sugar to use per kg of meat.

In the end of all this, we should have a great 101 for anyone wishing to try their hand at making bacon.

Regards,

Warren
GMG Daniel Boon WiFi, Weber OTG, ProQ Excel 20, small generic kettle, other BBQ stuff.
I like BBQ stuff!
2014 Commonwealth Games Gold medal winner!
World shooting Champion.
5 time Olympian.
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Burnt offerings wrote:Hey Smokey Mick,

Of course you can use what I have contributed, if you feel it will help.

I'm looking forward to what you can find regarding the amount of salt and sugar to use per kg of meat.

In the end of all this, we should have a great 101 for anyone wishing to try their hand at making bacon.

Regards,

Warren
Cheers,
So far the salt / Sugars per kg vary wildly.
so far I have :

Salt/sugars in grams - 22/8, 14/7, 10/20. 33/66, 22/11, 30/30
That is keeping to the 150ppm rule and only the ones we have already discussed here and on the other thread. I will keep going on google serching for more.
If anyone has any other books with cure recepies post them up so I can work out there Rate

Edit, Ive added a few more.
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

I think Ive done enough recipe serching, I discounted those calling for Nitrate and some real woozies that were boardering on rediculous.
One well known US forum owner and prolific recipe writer had 15.4gms salt, 125gms sugars and 5.12 gms cure # 1 :shock:
So Ive come to an average of 22g salt / 24g sugars / 2.4 g cure# 1(6.25%) or 1.35g Kuikurit (11%) per Kilo of pork.

I think the salt / sugar levels are subjective and lean towards Americas sweet tooth. So It would be totaly acceptable to go with say, 22/8 or 14/7 should one prefer a more savoury bacon. What is In between? dunno, Im testing 22/24 now.
In the past Ive been happy with 20/20 or a metric table spoon of each.
So for the moment Im going with 20/20 as a basic start that will get the job done.

Any thoughts Before I change the OP into a basic how too?

From here on members can post up there take and what they do so new members looking to make bacon can read about all the variations and flavours us nut jobs add :lol:
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Another thing id like to throw out there,
The consensis it that its ok to cold smoke at 100F or 37C and under. I cannot get my head around so called "cold" smoking at blood temperature. It just seems nuts to push the envolope and hold meat at that temp regerdless if nitrites are there or not.

To me , Cold smoking is European room temp of 15 C or under, Same as good wine is kept.
Therefore I shant recomend it unless the bacon makers ambient temps are cool as in winter in Australia or Cool nights in the Spring/ Autum.
After that, its hot smoke.
I dont want some poor sod to maybe stuff his curing up and "cold smoke' on a stinking hot day only to make himself or his family very sick.
In fact, Im not insured for this and am a little worried about placing this kind of process ?
I know others all over the web have put up their crappy misleading recipies,,, But???
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Mick,

For me cold smoke is def under 20C!

I think the key here is a simple recipe that will work....do this...or that and it will work! Deviate, and it might not!

It is supposed to be a confidence builder, something anyone can do. Smoke Hot, or Cold....not Lukewarm!

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
shayneh2006

Post by shayneh2006 »

I totally agree with Chris on this :wink:

The info stated should be aimed at the newbie.......... that's not too complicated.

Hot smoked Bacon is the way to go...

Its easy to complete if you have half an idea about bbqing/cooking/temps.

Hot
200F until the internal gets to 135F will give you a good Bacon

Once they learn from bbq confidence, they can venture down the cold smoke route... which in turn will give em a better finished product..

Cold
70-90F for as long as you like (my max has been up to 13hrs).
Then hot smoke at 200F until the internal gets to 135F will give you an EXCELLENT Bacon :P .
Smokey Mick wrote:The consensis it that its ok to cold smoke at 100F or 37C and under. I cannot get my head around so called "cold" smoking at blood temperature. It just seems nuts to push the envolope and hold meat at that temp regerdless if nitrites are there or not.
Mick,,,, I have done it (less than 100F though),,, and am not sick from it.

Before I ventured down this whole "Cold Smoking" road,,, I did my research (I too was worried about the low temps and nasties forming), settled to give it a go, and it works to provide a better finished product.

I will never Hot smoke only, from this time forward. That said, I if my Frozen Winter supply runs short, I might be forced into the hot smoke scene :oops:

My recommendations are......

Learn the basics..

And seek to improve on what you learnt..

Then cold smoke :wink: weather permiting.......

Shayne

Don't argue with idiots.. They'll bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Thanks mates,
Shayne seems you and I went down the same road.
I confess I knew the safe levels and how to some time ago. I wanted to bring as many voices as possible into a debate and yours has been a Gem.
Chris, Yes you are right, Sorry to be less than confidence building :lol: After a few beers I got all aspy,,, again :oops:
Will do the job 8)
shayneh2006

Post by shayneh2006 »

Cheers Mick.

Bring the newbies on.............so we can teach em how to make real Bacon that stands high above the mass produced supermarket stuff. 8)

Shayne

Don't argue with idiots.. They'll bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Hogsy

Post by Hogsy »

Did anything come of this thread?
I for one am keen to start making my own bacon and would love a Bacon 101 thread like what has been talked about.
Viva La Charcoal Revolution
Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member!
Angryman65

Post by Angryman65 »

Count me in too. Still researching and making up my mind about ntirites or not, hot smoking or cold.

Definitive guide would be great
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for bad hunter.