Bacon questions

Post your recipe requests and cooking questions in this setion. Not for general discussions.
Nath

Bacon questions

Post by Nath »

Ok, so I want to cure and smoke some homemade bacon.
However, I am unable to find a clear thread in which can help me get through my first go.
The questions are;

Best cut? I was thinking belly.

What type of cure/how long should I be curing

Is it nessecary to cold smoke and then hot smoke, or just cold smoke?.

Sorry if it has been outlined in a thread before, I just could not locate a "101"
happy for someone to point me in the right directions.

Also planning on doing some cold smoked salmon soon, If anyone can point me in the right direction to a thread containing cure methods for cold smoked salmon that would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance to the brainstrust.

Nath
Nath
Jars

Post by Jars »

Hey mate, making your own bacon van be very rewarding, beats anything I have ever bought in the shops by far.

I used this website to start off my bacon adventure, http://www.localfoodheroes.co.uk/?e=541 it has heaps of useful info, and a handy calculator to help you out. Just keep in mind, if your using KWIKURIT, it is actually 11% nitrate, so you only need to use half of what the calculator tells you to.

So far I have only ever hot smoked my bacon, but with my current batch, I will be doing cold and then hot. I believe you can do either hot, cold or cold+hot. All really comes down to how much smoke flavour you want I think.

I usually cure my belly for 7 to 10 days.

Hope that all helps, if not I'm sure someone else will help you out shortly.

Cheers,
Jars
Yoder YS480 || Weber OTS Premium || Weber Go Anywhere || Weber Jumbo Joe || Keg Spit || 'Golden Moth' UDS
Gary

Re: Bacon questions

Post by Gary »

I've only done it once, using pork belly, with this recipe from AmazingRIbs.com: http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/pork ... ratch.html it was fantastic and I'll be doing it again soon!
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

just started looking into this as well. Was planning on a hot smoke.

I was considering this cure: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/250-Gram-Cur ... 4855bc570b

which has sodium nitrate @ 7.8%.

anyone able to comment on it?
titch

Post by titch »

First off read this Blog please.

http://saucissonmac.blogspot.com.au/200 ... bacon.html

If you want cure try
http://www.redbacktrading.com.au/index1.html
use his very basic recipe here but use your own flavouring,
http://www.redbacktrading.com.au/index1.html

Most of all enjoy it, if your hot smoking the Bacon you do NOT need to use cure as long as you are not cold smoking for hours first
, just salt will do.
its easy and you can be a bit loose with your own method.
Cheers
Titch
Nath

Bacon questions

Post by Nath »

I was planning in just cold smoking it I think. Thanks for all your input guys I'll have a good read over the links tonight and take down some notes ready to get it underway

Nath
Nath
gnol

Post by gnol »

I have premade a batch with sugar salt and Curing salt #1.
I then use that according to the weight of the pork.

Sourced from the book *Charcuterie*
Nath

Bacon questions

Post by Nath »

I'm thinking of using a brine cure to shorten the cure time as outlined in one of the links above.

Also, is there benefit gained from hot smoking? Or is it fine to just cold smoke

Nath
Nath
Burnt offerings

Post by Burnt offerings »

Here is a good thread started by Shayneh2006,

http://www.aussiebbq.info/forum/viewtop ... con#p94954

Here is the cure I use for my bacon,

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Cure-1-500gr ... cfa&_uhb=1

It is being sold by one of our well known members, it is 12% so you only need 1gm per kg.

The link that Jars posted is the same calculator I use, the bacon I have made using it is great.

I cold smoke then hot smoke, this is my preference, others have their preference.

Once you make and try your home made bacon, you will not go back to store bought bacon!

I hope this helps.

Warren
GMG Daniel Boon WiFi, Weber OTG, ProQ Excel 20, small generic kettle, other BBQ stuff.
I like BBQ stuff!
2014 Commonwealth Games Gold medal winner!
World shooting Champion.
5 time Olympian.
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Busio90 wrote:I was planning in just cold smoking it I think. Thanks for all your input guys I'll have a good read over the links tonight and take down some notes ready to get it underway

Nath
If cold Smoking its my opinion that one should have a real handle on the cure process.
I would start on a hot smoke first as it shows up incorrect curing sins. (Gray spots)
A biggie that will affect cold smoking is the belly not cured through
Those sins are made safe by means of hot cooking and can put you in the cold ground if not done right cold smoked

So my recomendation is to do a dry rub brine/ cure and hot smoke it.
You wont be disapointed and what you do will be safe provided you follow the guidlines.
Once you get "Based" , Then move on.
Too late for me to cold smoke this year as day time temps are 22-24C and Night time is 16C.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Nath

Bacon questions

Post by Nath »

Smokey Mick wrote:
Busio90 wrote:I was planning in just cold smoking it I think. Thanks for all your input guys I'll have a good read over the links tonight and take down some notes ready to get it underway

Nath
If cold Smoking its my opinion that one should have a real handle on the cure process.
I would start on a hot smoke first as it shows up incorrect curing sins. (Gray spots)
A biggie that will affect cold smoking is the belly not cured through
Those sins are made safe by means of hot cooking and can put you in the cold ground if not done right cold smoked

So my recomendation is to do a dry rub brine/ cure and hot smoke it.
You wont be disapointed and what you do will be safe provided you follow the guidlines.
Once you get "Based" , Then move on.
Too late for me to cold smoke this year as day time temps are 22-24C and Night time is 16C.
Thanks Mick,
I will look at hot smoking for sure.
Do you think there is any benefit from curing in a brine solution as apposed to a dry rub?
I was going to try a peice of belly and also some neck ala shaynes pork neck bacon.

Nath
Nath
Chargrilled

Post by Chargrilled »

Smokey Mick wrote: Too late for me to cold smoke this year as day time temps are 22-24C and Night time is 16C.
16c at night should be ok for cold smoking?
The ideal temp for cold smoking is between 20-30c is it not?
The main reason why you cannot cold smoke bacon unless you use nitrite.
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Nath , You are going too fast.
Wet or dry has its own skill set. The blokes you see showing raw smoked pig belly (It aint bacon until its cooked) are old hands that moved through process of learning
What you need to do is just start and do the dry cure, its the easyest to begin with and start with a simple 2 kg of belly
Once you do that a whole bunch of other questions will come into your head. Like why is it too salty.
Deal with that first (of course with our help) and you will find a penny drop for you.
Soon after you will be saying my words to others
Not trying to bum you out mate, Just want you to start at the begin and work up safely and with confidence.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Nath

Bacon questions

Post by Nath »

Smokey Mick wrote:Nath , You are going too fast.
Wet or dry has its own skill set. The blokes you see showing raw smoked pig belly (It aint bacon until its cooked) are old hands that moved through process of learning
What you need to do is just start and do the dry cure, its the easyest to begin with and start with a simple 2 kg of belly
Once you do that a whole bunch of other questions will come into your head. Like why is it too salty.
Deal with that first (of course with our help) and you will find a penny drop for you.
Not trying to bum you out mate, Just want you to start at the begin and work up safely and with confidence.
Understood, I may be getting a little excited! I will start with a piece of belly, dry cured, then smoked. I'm in Perth and were still getting below 10c nights over here.

Nath
Nath
BBQ&BEERS

Post by BBQ&BEERS »

Smokey Mick wrote:Nath , You are going too fast.
Hey Mick I think I might give this a go in the offset, do you have a 1 2 3 basic step for the dry cure?

Cheers