Umami

Post your recipe requests and cooking questions in this setion. Not for general discussions.
Groovy Gorilla

Re: Umami

Post by Groovy Gorilla » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:36 pm

and every baby that had mothers milk
chilling while grilling

SilentBoB

Post by SilentBoB » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:51 pm

I like adding a bit of dried shitake mushroom to my rubs lately for a bit of an umami boost!

Buccaneer

Post by Buccaneer » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:43 am

urbangriller wrote:
O2zi3 wrote:umami is MSG....nothing wrong with that, except i cant find where to buy it...its integral to KFC recipe....who doesnt love KFC? (if u dont, then what u doing on BBQ forum?)
MSG is only one form of Glutimate, Umami describes the taste of glutimates. Glutimates are found in a number of foods throughout history (Before MSG) including back to the Romans who had a fermented anchovy "Sauce".
Thousands of years before the Romans, Asian cultures had developed a fermented fish that was used to flavour, and also to make sauces with, so the glutamate -umami gig has been around for a very long time.
When you cook ingredients containing glutamates, the break down and are L-glutamates. Natural glutamates are bound with proteins and are digested and absorbed slowly.
If you consume MSG, then the body is hit with a rapid absorbtion and while safe, reseachers acknowledge these days some people do have a variety of short term reactions.
Something as innocuous as pearl barley can give a glutamate sensitive person a serious reaction. It's only a hassle if you are in that population.
2015 Smokin In The City-Boarshank Redemption
Buccaneer, BeachBums, Alimac23, SilentBob!

wedwards

Umami

Post by wedwards » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:11 am

Whatever you do, don't give an asthmatic your food if you use msg. I personally ended up in hospital many times as a child after exposure to MSG, and even as an adult it will trigger asthma which I haven't really experienced badly for 10-15 years. Not all asthmatics have this issue, but a lot do, and some don't even realize it until they have a reaction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Groovy Gorilla

Post by Groovy Gorilla » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:08 pm

How do you go with Parmesan cheese or Vegemite ?
Parmesan, with 1200mg per 100 grams, is the substance with more free glutamate in it than any other natural foodstuff on the planet.
Marmite, with 1750mg per 100g, has more glutamate in it than any other manufactured product on the planet - except a jar of Gourmet Powder straight from the Ajinomoto MSG factory.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... .features3
chilling while grilling

wedwards

Umami

Post by wedwards » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:24 pm

Groovy Gorilla wrote:How do you go with Parmesan cheese or Vegemite ?
Parmesan, with 1200mg per 100 grams, is the substance with more free glutamate in it than any other natural foodstuff on the planet.
Marmite, with 1750mg per 100g, has more glutamate in it than any other manufactured product on the planet - except a jar of Gourmet Powder straight from the Ajinomoto MSG factory.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... .features3
Allergic to dairy and other stuff in vegemite anyway, so don't eat them usually

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk