Generic Pulled Pork workshop

Post your recipe requests and cooking questions in this setion. Not for general discussions.
Smokey

Generic Pulled Pork workshop

Post by Smokey »

Ok boys and girls, I will ramble off what I would tell a first timer what I would do, its open to discussion and if changes are relevant to "Generic" they will be added and or draft changed.
Remember we are not giving out spice or sauce trade secrets, just what will work.
Feel free to cut and reword and re present for further comments.
I won’t add pics just yet as lots of you have better pics than I do; I just want to get through the text first.
So I might place > Pic< where I think a good pic might fit.

1) The cooker:
For slow cooked pork it really should be done on a purpose designed slow cooking BBQ: One that can maintain a constant temperature of 110°C or 225°F.
When using a hooded gas grill is possible for some to maintain the temperature but not always the steady fine stream of smoke.
As an entry level smoker, a kettle type grill will do the job when set up correctly.
So assuming you have a pit type smoker that produces at least 3-4 hours of smoke without opening lids and keeps a constant temperature, you’re good to go.

2) The Right cut:
Pork Butt, Not always sold here however it consists of the top shoulder and the neck.
Steer clear from shoulder cuts from supermarkets. They are often cut through in very narrow sections that let a lot of moisture out in the cooking process.
The best part is from the shoulder and is readily available as the "Collar Butt”, also known as the Scotch Fillet and "Neck"
>Pic<
They weigh in at around 1.7-2.3 kg and are the perfect size for the average family.

3) Prepare the pork:
If there is skin on the shoulder it needs to be removed. Leave a moderate layer of fat as this will render and self-baste the meat over many hours. Most collar buts come pretty much right to go.
You don’t want big globs of fat; rather a 1/8 to 1/4 inch is sufficient.
Brining is not necessary and complicates things as the next step effectively brines the meat anyway

4) The Rub:
Traditional US preparation starts with rubbing all over with mild mustard. Not necessary but it helps make the spice rub stick.
Rub it over and then rub it with a generous spice mix
Recipe for basic rub

1 TBS Salt
1 TBS Pepper
1 TBS Garlic Powder
1 TBS Onion Powder
1 TBS Cayenne Powder
1 TBS Chili Powder
¼ Cup Paprika
½ Cup Brown Sugar

Wrap it in cling wrap and refrigerate for several hours.
Reserve some rub as the next step will wash some off and you might need to reapply just before placing in the smoker

5) The pump (using an injector)
Make a mix of
>basic pump mixture<
After the pork has “dry brined” with the rub, you will need the cooker up to temperature and ready to receive the pork.
Pump the mixture into the pork. It will leak out everywhere but keep injecting pockets all over.
Redress with more rub.

6) Start cooking:
When do you want to eat?
If at 6PM you will need to start at 3AM
Who does that? Not me so start it at 11pm the night before, have a sleep in and when it’s done in the mid-afternoon just wrap it in foil and place in an esky with old towels filling any void within the esky (this keeps the heat in).
It will stay piping hot for around four hours
Set the BBQ to 110C and let it settle down, You don’t want great volumes of smoke.
A light whisper is all that is needed.
With the BBQ settled and the smoke going at a fine rate, Place the pork and set any temperature gages (Recommended)
Don’t bother about pre warming the pork, Put it on stone cold. It will get a better smoke ring and you don’t want pork sitting around getting to room temp. You want to get past cold to safe ASAP in the BBQ.
Once it’s in the BBQ temp will drop, Leave it and from that moment on, for the next four hours you do not open the lid.
Only monitor the temperatures of the BBQ and the meat.

7) During the cook:
Ensure the kettle or cooker is consistent every now and then.
Give the pork a spray of apple cider and vinegar mix every few hours but be quick with the lid.
About six or seven hours in (More or less) if you are using a temperature probe, you will notice the "Stall", normally around 155F or 68C
DO NOT be tempted to add more fuel or open the vents as this is normal.
As long as the oven temp is right @ around 225°F or 110°C you are on course.
The meat temp may even drop or you may have two stalls. Just concentrate on keeping the oven right and don’t try to compensate.

Once the pork starts to finally climb you can do one of two things.
1) Texas crutch
2) Let it ride

Crutching is wrapping in foil with some liquid for an hour or so to help intensify the cooking speed and mellow the flavour throughout the meat. It also softens the "Bark".
After crutching the foil is removed or opened for the final run home to the pulled stage.

Letting it ride is do nothing, This will give a harder bark and possibly a little more bitter bark as there has been no steaming to wash any acrid smoke flavour down. It’s a personal choice

The Run Home
When the pork gets to 190F or 87C check the oven temp to see if it’s falling or rising. You want to start lowering the oven temp to match the meat temp. Doing so gives a "Holding time" so by the time the meat reaches 195-205F Its been there long enough to become totally soft and rendered.

When It’s Done
Double wrap in foil and place into a small esky and cover all void with towels.
You can hold it like that for up to 5 hours before serving.
Last edited by Smokey on Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
beermee

Re: Generic Pulled Pork workshop

Post by beermee »

Where'd this post go? I came here looking for some advice and there's nothing here....???

rgds
Gary
Note that: Gary is posting on the Aussie BBQ Forum as: 'SmokeKingBBQs' (as a vendor) and 'beermee' (as a personal account)

Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Ok, This is there to be picked apart and corrected so that it becomes Generic.
Be gentle boys :lol:
Last edited by Smokey on Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
beermee

Post by beermee »

If you can find it -

Any chance you could re-post it back up on here? Its was a great reference for us pork pullers!

Otherwise, could you email or PM it to me... please...

Thanks SM.
Note that: Gary is posting on the Aussie BBQ Forum as: 'SmokeKingBBQs' (as a vendor) and 'beermee' (as a personal account)

beachbums

Post by beachbums »

Me too Mick. I thought you'd done a great job on it.

Cheers, Wayne
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

done, Need more imput and wordsmithing :oops:
gnol

Post by gnol »

Are we allowed to add our experiences to this SM?
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

gnol wrote:Are we allowed to add our experiences to this SM?
Thats the purpose, Argue a point or copy and change , Say in red font for discussion and I will change the OP.
Did I go too far,? Not far enough? can it be worded better? did I miss anything?
The important thing is to keep it simple and basic. It is where you will be pointing newbies to for required reading.
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Gramatical update by Chris and changed
beermee

Post by beermee »

Thanks SM.

I think it looks good. Maybe we could add a couple options like - <x forum user>'s favourite rub; or <x forum user>'s target temp... or injection solution, etc....

I think anyone should be able to have a go at a pulled pork after reading through that though... thanks for writing it for us!

Rgds
Gary

beachbums

Post by beachbums »

Ta Mick, Lots of people will get a lot of use from your "How To" including me. A lot of the time I find myself doing a quick search around the forum to check out how everyone else is doing the basic cooks and then sort of collate them to see where I'm heading. Temp, time, types of rub etc so thanks again mate.

Cheers, Wyane
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

If you are into "glue" my only suggestion would be molasses...Much better bark. And if you have Gatorade powder there, and like a citric acid component in your pork...Mix a half cup in with your rub!

Very simple but good rub for Butts. Was done by Brent Walton of QN4U, may he R.I.P.!

1 TBS Salt
1 TBS Pepper
1 TBS Garlic Powder
1 TBS Onion Powder
1 TBS Cayenne Powder
1 TBS Chili Powder
¼ Cup Paprika
½ Cup Brown Sugar

Will do about 3 full racks of Spare Ribs or about two 3.5kg Butts.
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

Percel

Post by Percel »

Ta Mick

rockin it for the numpties like me

Appreciate it
Armchairbenko

Post by Armchairbenko »

Brilliant thanks Smokey :!:

Perfect timing for me as I am doing a pp this weekend and was just looking for some info as a refresher when I saw this 8)

Although I have actually asked me butcher for a mutton shoulder but he is not too sure if he will be able to get me one on short notice so I don't really know what I am cooking atm :roll:

Cheers,
Armchairbenko
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Mick, I think this is pretty good mate!

A link to the snake maybe and I'll try to dig up some pics of the shoulder and butt and a pig map so people can show their butchers if need.

It's easy to follow, great work.

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!