6 hours weber kettle

Post your recipe requests and cooking questions in this setion. Not for general discussions.
the dane

6 hours weber kettle

Post by the dane »

The wife has just come back from coles! with a box each of there new meat lines, Lamb Shanks, Brisket, Beef short Ribs, and pulled pork! All at 70% off around $4 each a box! (bargain)
Now with the Brisket, Beef short Ribs, and pulled pork! It says to cook in the oven for 6 hours at 120c! If I was to cook these in the weber kettle for 6 hours all at the same time, how would I get the temp to stay at 120c? would I be better to fill the 2 baskets with charcoal to the top, and start with a high heat then let it burn it self out over 6 hours????? or have half a basket and fill it every 2 hours?
cheers!
Last edited by shayneh2006 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved from Forum General
urbangriller

Re: 6 hours weber kettle

Post by urbangriller »

Use Uncle Kevins Snake Brother:

http://www.aussiebbq.info/forum/viewtop ... =19&t=4864

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
the dane

Post by the dane »

cheers chris will try it this Saturday! as I have never done this b4, should I use heat beads as Kevin has? He also said he closed the bottom vents half way after 4 hours! he cooked for 10 hours! would I need to do this for cooking for 6 hours???
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Use real Beads (not Easy Light), be carefull laying the snake...think about how it's going to burn and make sure the bead on top will transmit the fire to the others. leave the vents open, the heat is controlled by the beads that are lit, not the vents. Light the starter beads outside the kettle and carefully place them at the start. Take pics! And thank Kevin when you have a major success!

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
chriso

Post by chriso »

I don't think the baskets will hold enough for a 6 hour cook. You can do charcoal snakes but apparently heat bead snakes are easier.
I did ribs for 5.5 hours last week with a charcoal snake (thread in the charcoal section) and Shayne has posted a lot of info on them if you want to go the charcoal route.
Nath

6 hours weber kettle

Post by Nath »

+for the heatbead snake

Nath
Nath
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

I recently did a Corned beef roast low & slow on my Weber Performer Kettle using the heatbead snake method and the cook lasted 8 hours and only used about 55% of the snake and it held nicely around the 230F mark pretty much the entire cook.
When the temp rose to 200F, I started to close my bottom vents to about a third open and held it there for most the cook but did open to half open about 4 hours in when the breeze died a little.

Use no more than 10 lit beads at the head of the snake or you'll get too hot a fire and I found it tend to makes the snake go quicker and hotter with more than 10 beads...theres a fair bit of heat coming off 10 lit beads...don't under-estimate them, but I like them because they give me constant results.
Always keep your top vent wide open.

If you feel that the snake is getting too hot, just place a tray of cold water over where the snake is burning (on the food grate that is) this acts as a heat sink and keeps the temp closer to water's boiling temp of 212F. You may have to top the water up every now and then.

The rest I'll leave up to your experimentation. :D

This link will take you to my topic on Smoked corn beef and you'll see how I set the snake up in my Kettle.
http://www.aussiebbq.info/forum/viewtop ... 45&t=10669

Have fun with it..

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
the dane

Post by the dane »

Well got up this morning, at 5am to build the snake! was not planning to till lunch time, but could not sleep!!
Last edited by the dane on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

Re: vent and heat control with snake..................

i cracked the bottom ones back due to the wind kicking up and fanning the briquettes into a hotter burn than i needed or wanted. but, then noticed that the temp dropped way too much, so, i opened the vents back out and had trust in the method.

remember...........the wind. after the meat and method, is your biggest factor in a successful cook out.

your trays appear to be over the snake, if you can.....try and move the trays into the centre of your grill...............maybe piggy back them with an empty can in the bottom one to get a little smoke around it.

i am sure the lid will still close.

good luck

and enjoy the experiance, also dont lift the lid.

because...................IF YOUR LOOKIN' YOUR NOT COOKIN'

kevin
....up in smoke.....that's where my money goes.....
the dane

Post by the dane »

Smart thinking Cody!!!!
Last edited by the dane on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the dane

Post by the dane »

Could I have also put one of the meat trays on the bottom rack next to the snake???? :?:
Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

the dane wrote:Smart thinking Cody!!!!
The weber is in the carport, so no wind!!!! smells good

above and beyond my friend.

and to the next question...........why..??.. you have execelled with the cans. later maybe put a tray of veges in towards the end of yhe cook.

love your work.

kevin
....up in smoke.....that's where my money goes.....
shayneh2006

Post by shayneh2006 »

kevin[/quote]
the dane wrote:Smart thinking Cody!!!!
The weber is in the carport, so no wind!!!! smells good
That shot absolutley beautiful :wink:

Just a question though, is there a risk of the paint burning on the Beer cans and in turn, infusing a toxic taste into the meat????

If thats the case,

Food tin cans might have been a better option.

Jast saying is all :oops:

Shayne

Don't argue with idiots.. They'll bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
the dane

Post by the dane »

Don't say that Stress me out now!!!!! :oops: :roll: :x :idea:
the dane

Post by the dane »

Is that better feel more like MacGyver then cooking bbq