Cattleman's Cutlets 2013

Post your recipe requests and cooking questions in this setion. Not for general discussions.
Percel

Cattleman's Cutlets 2013

Post by Percel »

I have 2 cattlemans grazing in the fridge for tomorrow.

I have a Zeigler (we don't talk about that), he cooks a mean pizza, Bacon and eggs and standard Aussie fare, and I do thank him for that

I also have a Weber OTG, I have a chimney, and I also have some baskets that someone left in a dilapidated weber on their lawn, I took them.

What I don't have is skiliz, in fact, Im in the negative. I can roast for my country and would probably win medals is asked to do so. ( i tell myself often)

Beef is kryptonite, my affinity with cows extends only to milk and admiring them as I fish the south coast NSW in my kayak.

So, what should I do with my two bone carrying beings in my fridge?

I have no affiliation with Yoder/Traeger/Weber/Blueys/Redheads or any other Forum meltdown causing product
Davo
Forum Administrator

Re: Cattleman's Cutlets 2013

Post by Davo »

Percel wrote:I have 2 cattlemans grazing in the fridge for tomorrow.

I have a Zeigler (we don't talk about that), he cooks a mean pizza, Bacon and eggs and standard Aussie fare, and I do thank him for that

I also have a Weber OTG, I have a chimney, and I also have some baskets that someone left in a dilapidated weber on their lawn, I took them.

What I don't have is skiliz, in fact, Im in the negative. I can roast for my country and would probably win medals is asked to do so. ( i tell myself often)

Beef is kryptonite, my affinity with cows extends only to milk and admiring them as I fish the south coast NSW in my kayak.

So, what should I do with my two bone carrying beings in my fridge?

I have no affiliation with Yoder/Traeger/Weber/Blueys/Redheads or any other Forum meltdown causing product
:lol: :lol: :lol: That last line alone is GOLD baby!! :lol: :lol:

Ok Percel, one thing I will address right now, you shouldn't be ashamed to mention your BBQ...I don't understand why you don't want to talk about it.
Zeigler and Brown or Ziggy as they are advertised as, have probably a lot of work and design into them to perform as good as the brand they are aiming their product at, but at the same time, they have to be very mindful of patent and design copyrights so as not to attract lawsuits from Other major players.

I've had a good look at the Ziggy and think they are a worthy product although I've never used one, I had a taste of some muffins that were cooked as a demo.

You also have to take into account that Companies such as Weber, have been around for a very long time and were innovators from the word go to the point of becoming world renown with their BBQ Kettles which were originally designed from an Ocean Buoy. The design simple but world known and even here in Australia, anything in the supermarkets that can be BBQed has the Weber kettle (well the bottom half of it) displayed to signify BBQ.

That's a pretty big hurdle for any company to go up against and since Weber designed and introduced the Weber Q series of grills, it's like the birth of the kettle all over again. If companies such as Z&B or Beefeater with the BUG can get a 10% market share from Weber Q series, then they would be doing pretty well.

But looking at what you have, is a pretty good duo that will give you lots of choices and variations even with just the Ziggy and The Kettle.

I have my Weber Q320 and have had the 120 & 220 before that so I chose Weber again because I know how to use this particular BBQ but I'd also be as happy with the Ziggy because mostly all I use the Q320 for is the quicky stuff or if I'm doing a low & slow using the snake method in the kettle, I'll use the Q320 to roast the potatoes, pumpkins and stuff.
Having that option and versatility is great...it allows you to plan more efficiently especially if you have guests coming and you want the food to be near ready when they arrive.

So you now have a small compact gasser for the quick cooks and a kettle for other cooks...experiment with these 2 and become the master :D

As for the cattleman cutlets which are pretty thick, almost like a roast so I would use the kettle OTS for this one, light up a full chimney of heatbeads, wait till they are greyed over, and then pour the hot coals on one side of the kettle leaving the other side vacant and place a foil tray in that vacant area.
place the food grate on the kettle and place the lid for 10 minutes, this is to preheat the kettle but also to kill any nasties left over on your food grate.

I would then give the grate a quick scrape and rub some oil on it using tongs and a half cut onion dipped in oil and give the grates a good oiling. Place the cutlets on the opposite side of the fire, close the lid and roast them until they are about 15C below your preferred level of doneness ( a good meat thermometer would be helpful here) then, give a light sprinkle with salt and pepper and place the cutlets over the fire side until done. This is called the reverse sear method and is good for thick cuts.

So in summary, you High heat roast the meat first then sear at the end. When you take the cutlets off the grill, place upright on the edge of the cutlet so the larger surface area is at the sides, not facing up and down and you'll lose less juice from the meat. Got that tip off Masterchef a few yrs back.

Goodluck with it.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
talisker63

Cattleman's Cutlets 2013

Post by talisker63 »

Can we get a pic of this cut? Never seen it before...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

:shock:
Must teach you bullet form Davo :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
But in the end you nailed it :mrgreen:
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Smokey Mick wrote::shock:
Must teach you bullet form Davo :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
But in the end you nailed it :mrgreen:

You mean smoke em in the WSM then divide the smoker and grill on the bottom half Mick? :P

Yeah I've done that too...works well enough, but not many have those things so I tend to talk about the kettle.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

As I understand it they are a Thick Cut Rib Eye nicknamed as Cattlemans Cut.

Fantastic Davo....always the BBQ head! Good description and technique by the way, but I think Mick meand "Shorthand" not WSM :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Percel

Post by Percel »

Davo wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: That last line alone is GOLD baby!! :lol: :lol:

Ok Percel, one thing I will address right now, you shouldn't be ashamed to mention your BBQ...I don't understand why you don't want to talk about it.
Zeigler and Brown or Ziggy as they are advertised as, have probably a lot of work and design into them to perform as good as the brand they are aiming their product at, but at the same time, they have to be very mindful of patent and design copyrights so as not to attract lawsuits from Other major players.

I've had a good look at the Ziggy and think they are a worthy product although I've never used one, I had a taste of some muffins that were cooked as a demo.

:lol: :lol: :lol: bloody muffins

Good points Davo, it actually has done me very well so far.
As for the cattleman cutlets which are pretty thick, almost like a roast so I would use the kettle OTS for this one, light up a full chimney of heatbeads, wait till they are greyed over, and then pour the hot coals on one side of the kettle leaving the other side vacant and place a foil tray in that vacant area.
place the food grate on the kettle and place the lid for 10 minutes, this is to preheat the kettle but also to kill any nasties left over on your food grate.

I would then give the grate a quick scrape and rub some oil on it using tongs and a half cut onion dipped in oil and give the grates a good oiling. Place the cutlets on the opposite side of the fire, close the lid and roast them until they are about 15C below your preferred level of doneness ( a good meat thermometer would be helpful here) then, give a light sprinkle with salt and pepper and place the cutlets over the fire side until done. This is called the reverse sear method and is good for thick cuts.

So in summary, you High heat roast the meat first then sear at the end. When you take the cutlets off the grill, place upright on the edge of the cutlet so the larger surface area is at the sides, not facing up and down and you'll lose less juice from the meat. Got that tip off Masterchef a few yrs back.

Goodluck with it.

Cheers

Davo
Mate, that info sounds awesome, i'll give it a bash tonight and report back in.

Thanks very much for the detail :D
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

urbangriller wrote:As I understand it they are a Thick Cut Rib Eye nicknamed as Cattlemans Cut.

Fantastic Davo....always the BBQ head! Good description and technique by the way, but I think Mick meand "Shorthand" not WSM :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chris
:oops: Shorthand??? now ya got me :?

Please explain :lol:

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
LA1

Post by LA1 »

Why wouldnt you be talking about your Ziggy? Prolly one of the best portable BBQ's available on the market hands down. Davo, I hardly think they have anything to worry about from anyone regarding patents.

Percel, if they are super thick, go the reverse sear method. If they are just quite thick steaks, Id grill on medium for 3-4 mins then turn 90 deg and repeat for the other side. Beautiful
Percel

Post by Percel »

Davo wrote:
urbangriller wrote:As I understand it they are a Thick Cut Rib Eye nicknamed as Cattlemans Cut.

Chris
:oops: Shorthand??? now ya got me :?

Please explain :lol:

Cheers

Davo

Mick likes Bullets, he's not a prose man
Percel

Post by Percel »

LA1 wrote:Why wouldnt you be talking about your Ziggy? Prolly one of the best portable BBQ's available on the market hands down. Davo, I hardly think they have anything to worry about from anyone regarding patents.

Percel, if they are super thick, go the reverse sear method. If they are just quite thick steaks, Id grill on medium for 3-4 mins then turn 90 deg and repeat for the other side. Beautiful
It was more tongue in cheek stemming from the few treads that were on here re: Ziggy, I do love it.

They are pretty thick :D
LA1

Post by LA1 »

Ha! Fair enough
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

"Mick likes Bullets, he's not a prose man"

I dont know what prose means but ill take it as a compliment :lol:
(Just looked it up, yeh its the engineer in me. I can write in caps faster than I can running freehand, all those tech plans you see)

Just having a rib at ya Davo. I first read your Looooong reply late last night and I got lost :mrgreen:
Had to go the the last paragragh and found it. :P
Its all good cause Percel was able to get through it. :P
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au