Pulled Pork - boneless neck vs shoulder with bone

Post your recipe requests and cooking questions in this setion. Not for general discussions.
ColMack

Post by ColMack »

Hi All,

I was at Castle Hill last weekend and there is a new butcher that has opened - looks to have some pretty nice cuts for doing low and slow e.g. nice looking ribs / shoulder / necks of both Pork & Lamb - and also some nice beef ribs. Perhaps I should try Lamb Necks - never tried that before!

So - looking to do a low-n-slow pork this weekend - wondering what would be the better piece to put in the Kamado?

Last week they had on display pork neck with no bone - or pork shoulder with bone. Both looked around 2Kg pieces (just a guess).

Which would make the better pulled pork with a dry rub? Boneless neck vs shoulder with bone?

Cheers,
Col.
Large Green Grill Dome, Traeger Pro 22, Weber OTG, Hibachi (CI and Ceramic) and Traeger Junior
kendoll

Re: Pulled Pork - boneless neck vs shoulder with bone

Post by kendoll »

My personal opinion would be the bone in. Will be be done quicker and should taste better.

Ken
Ken
Livewire

Post by Livewire »

I would have to disagree with Ken and Beaver

The pork neck is brilliant for a low and slow and it is ALL meat

A 1.5 to 2kg one will feed 6 - 8 people as they all shrink by about 35% of the starting weight

Glenn
Kamado slow it goes as those lovely red embers glow
Royal Kamado, Weber Kettle K: 1988, Weber OTG DD:2000, Coolabah Mini Spit and 4 B Gasser
shayneh2006

Post by shayneh2006 »

Until i try Bone in, i will back Glenn.

Everytime i use the Neck for PP, it turns out so good, i can honestly say that i dont think it could ever get better.

Shayne

Don't argue with idiots.. They'll bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
smoking jim

Post by smoking jim »

Hi Guys with this pulled pork skin on or off.
Jim.
Bradley BTDS108CE-6.Bradley Propane Smoker.Kamado Royal.Webber 1982 Kettle.Anuka.Home Build Pellet Pooper,Bob Grillson 2014 Premium with WiFi App.
Livewire

Post by Livewire »

smoking jim wrote:Hi Guys with this pulled pork skin on or off.
Jim.
Jim

The neck has no skin, easy as :)
Kamado slow it goes as those lovely red embers glow
Royal Kamado, Weber Kettle K: 1988, Weber OTG DD:2000, Coolabah Mini Spit and 4 B Gasser
Bill44

Post by Bill44 »

I do both, they each have a different taste.
The neck (Scotch fillet) is easier to cook but for taste I think the Shoulder takes the prize by a narrow margin.
I think anything cooked with the bone in tastes just that little bit better.
Bill
Cast Iron Hibachi
Jackeroo Mini Spit
18 1/2" kettle
57cm Kettle
6 Burner Gasser sausage sizzler only.
shayneh2006

Post by shayneh2006 »

Bill44 wrote:I think anything cooked with the bone in tastes just that little bit better
:wink: Thats a fair call and one i would agree with :wink:

Shayne

Don't argue with idiots.. They'll bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
ColMack

Post by ColMack »

OK - thanks people - it sounds like there is a useful debate here - with both neck and shoulder (with bone) having positives.

I'll see what looks best when I head in there next - hope to get there Sat morning. I have only done lamb shoulder (with bone) so far (low and slow to 90c) and we just love it - this will be my 1st PP.

Now to look for a pork rub recipe. I'll only have Saturday arvo to prepare it - I think it needs to go into the Kamado Sat night for a Sunday evening meal.

Will that time frame work to prepare / cook / rest / serve?

Thanks,
Col.
Large Green Grill Dome, Traeger Pro 22, Weber OTG, Hibachi (CI and Ceramic) and Traeger Junior
shayneh2006

Post by shayneh2006 »

ColMack wrote:I think it needs to go into the Kamado Sat night for a Sunday evening meal.

Will that time frame work to prepare / cook / rest / serve
Right on brother!!!!

talisker63

Post by talisker63 »

Depending on size you are correct.
Usually I put a neck or shoulder on at around midnight or 11pm Sat for Sunday dinner.
Temp at 110-120c and take it off mid to late afternoon when it has hit and sat at 90-93c for an hour.
Double foil with a little apple juice (if the bark is very hard/thick) and into the esky wrapped in towels for as long as needed until dinner time.
Prior to cooking rub with whatever takes your fancy and let sit to come to room temp, I usually use smoked paprika, brow. Sugar, fresh garlic and salt
SilvRFoxX

Post by SilvRFoxX »

Col

Given you are in the castle hill area can I suggest you looking at going over to Costco at Auburn. The meats they have those are premium and well priced. The quality is better than any butcher I have come across.
Weapons : Weber Genesis E330, Weber OTG Premium & Hark Patio Smoker
kendoll

Post by kendoll »

ColMack wrote:OK - thanks people - it sounds like there is a useful debate here - with both neck and shoulder (with bone) having positives.

I'll see what looks best when I head in there next - hope to get there Sat morning. I have only done lamb shoulder (with bone) so far (low and slow to 90c) and we just love it - this will be my 1st PP.

Now to look for a pork rub recipe. I'll only have Saturday arvo to prepare it - I think it needs to go into the Kamado Sat night for a Sunday evening meal.

Will that time frame work to prepare / cook / rest / serve?

Thanks,
Col.
In my experience the neck (no bone) will take much longer than the same weight shoulder (obviously there is less meat in the same weight shoulder).

Ken
Ken
Bill44

Post by Bill44 »

I'll agree with that, don't know if the bone takes the heat into the centre quicker or what but I've had a 2Kg Scotch Fillet take as long as, or slightly longer than, a 4Kg Shoulder Blade Roast.

And while we are on cooking times I still haven't had a pulled pork of either sort take longer than 10 hours, some of the times posted make me wonder at the accuracy of some of the thermometers getting around. My Maverick exactly matches my Thermapen on the boiling water test.
Bill
Cast Iron Hibachi
Jackeroo Mini Spit
18 1/2" kettle
57cm Kettle
6 Burner Gasser sausage sizzler only.
talisker63

Post by talisker63 »

Bill what temp are you cooking at?