Meat rubs

Post your recipe requests and cooking questions in this setion. Not for general discussions.
salandaar

Meat rubs

Post by salandaar »

Hi
Wil be using the weber for the first time this weekend, it may be a daft question but where can you buy meat rubs from?? I live near Penrith NSW. I am going to be doing about a 2.5kg yearling beef joint,at this point not looking to make my own that will happen in time, also not looking for a hot rub, just tasty for the family.

thanks

ANDY
British by birth
English by the grace of God
Aussie by choice
peteru

Re: Meat rubs

Post by peteru »

Woolies sell a few in the herbs and spices section. I like the Artisse Organics stuff. See here for a bit more info: http://www.aussiebbq.info/forum/viewtop ... =12&t=6916

Post by sydking »

Bob Harts - Heat and smoke book has a great rub!! just adjust the chilli.
Mountain Mick

Post by Mountain Mick »

Hi salandaar

Make you own rub it's dead easy. use as much or as little as you like. This rub of mine work well with beef, Goat, Lamb, chickens etc.
hope this helps MM :wink:

Mountain Mick's Fiery Redneck Brisket
© Mick Blake Baree Mount Morgan Australia
1 beef brisket, about 4kg to 5kg (8-10 pounds)
For Rub:
1/2 cup paprika
1/4 cup black pepper
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup Lemon Rind finely grated
3 tablespoons salt
4 tablespoons chili powder
3 tablespoons garlic powder
2 tablespoons onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne
1 tablespoon Chinese Five Spice (optional this just take this to another dimension)
Preheat smoker and add wood chips of your choice( if you want more smoke what I do is soak the Iron Bark, hickory of pecan etc in water for 2 to 3 hrs before adding to hotbox). Clean and dry the brisket. Combine rub ingredients and apply onto brisket (I rub my brisket 12/24 hrs before smoking}. Place brisket in smoker for 8-10 hours. Keep the smoker temperature at about 220 degrees F.(102 degrees Celsius)but 150 degrees Celsius would be the top temp.

To increase tenderness, take the brisket out of the smoker, wrap in aluminum foil and place in oven at 180-200 degrees F (83-94º degrees Celsius) for the last two hours. Typically after 8-10 hours a piece of meat will have absorbed as much smoke as it can and additional smoking may impart a bitter flavor. serve the meat once it reaches 165 degrees F inside center (that 74-76 Celsius). Take brisket off of heat and allow to sit & rest for 20 minutes before slicing this lets the meats to release and your brisket will be juicy and tender. Works super for Blade and Boston Butt roast as well

Hope this helps

Here is a couple more rubs for you. MM

Mountain Mick's Duck Breast Rub
© Mountain Mick Blake Baree Mount Morgan 2001
1/2 teaspoon white pepper,
4 cloves garlic,
3 tablespoon sage, dry
¼ teaspoon salt

I mix it in a little butter before rubbing duck breast but can be used dry.

Wet curry rub for Quail, Chicken
© Mountain Mick Blake Baree Mount Morgan 2001
1/3 cup red curry paste
100ml coconut cream
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp lemon zest
3 coriander roots (chopped)
1teaspoon palm sugar
1 large red chilli (very finely sliced)
1/4 cup mint leaves (coarsely chopped)
¼ teaspoon fish sauce

Dry Rub for Fish

1 ½ teaspoon Paprika
1 ¼ teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper or hot chili powder
½ teaspoon pepper white or black
1 ½ teaspoons sea salt
1 teaspoon Garam masala
1 teaspoon lemon thyme

I use it on mackerel steaks or any firm white fleshed fish like Cod, Ling, Emperor even “Flake”

Mix all herb & spices, salt tighter and rub into the fish flesh be very generous, on each side. Let sit for 10 to 20 minutes in fridge, now fry in butter

Have fun mixing and matching and making you own Rubs it good for the Soul, MM :P :) :lol: :wink:
Image Image
21st century caveman Mountain Mick www.mountaingriller.com
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

salandaar wrote:Hi
I am going to be doing about a 2.5kg yearling beef joint...

Sea Salt, Fresh Cracked Black Pepper, Garlic Powder and a hit of Chili Powder...Sorry Mate, have no idea where to send you!
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!