Gotta love tv ratings

Anything else NON- BBQ
dales133

Gotta love tv ratings

Post by dales133 »

I quiet like masterchef and MKR and the ratings wankers decided to air them in direct competition.
It realy pisses me off how ratings are more important than providing a decent service, it's a constant thing of crap on tv or anything worth watching competing
Percel

Re: Gotta love tv ratings

Post by Percel »

Do you have a Tivo or PVR?
dales133

Gotta love tv ratings

Post by dales133 »

Nope, is TiVo subscription or dust buy and use?
Never looked into it
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Buy and use!

Management used to whinge just like you....bought her a Tivo....no more whinging!

They are awesome!

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
dales133

Gotta love tv ratings

Post by dales133 »

My mrs downloads everything and her. And the kids watch it, I just like cooking shows and docks mostly, just shits me how. Much the networks compete then play shit the rest of the week
And I don't winge tyvm :p
Percel

Post by Percel »

dales133 wrote:My mrs downloads everything and her. And the kids watch it, I just like cooking shows and docks mostly, just shits me how. Much the networks compete then play shit the rest of the week
And I don't winge tyvm :p
Tivo or similar PVRs are great, just set it up with a generic wildcard like 'cooking' or 'cook' and it will record everything to to with your search terms. Tivo is intuitive, it works out what you like. :D

PS and I agree that the networks are quite silly in this instance, the only 2 big cooking shows on commercial, and they make them compete.
peteru

Post by peteru »

Beyonwiz DP-P2 is probably the best value PVR you can get: http://dealspace.com.au/digital-persona ... onditioned - there are also cheaper models, with smaller hard drives, if you are price sensitive, the Beyonwiz DP-Lite i would be a good choice.

Beats a Tivo hands down, because it's not hobbled by Freeview limitations. With 2TB, you can store a huge backlog of TV to watch at your leisure. Best part is, you can configure the various skip parameters to your liking, so jumping over advertising can be as simple as one push of a button to skip past an entire 3 minute ad break in less than 1/2 second.

I've got three Beyonwiz PVRs (all different models) and they are great. I had three Topfield PVRs before that, but the Beyonwiz really is the best PVR.

Gotta love tv ratings

Post by dales133 »

Thanks for the heads up, ill check out the options
Percel

Post by Percel »

peteru wrote: Beats a Tivo hands down, because it's not hobbled by Freeview limitations. .
What are the freeview limitations you speak of?>
Al_

Post by Al_ »

peteru wrote:Beyonwiz DP-P2 is probably the best value PVR you can get: http://dealspace.com.au/digital-persona ... onditioned - there are also cheaper models, with smaller hard drives, if you are price sensitive, the Beyonwiz DP-Lite i would be a good choice.

Beats a Tivo hands down, because it's not hobbled by Freeview limitations. With 2TB, you can store a huge backlog of TV to watch at your leisure. Best part is, you can configure the various skip parameters to your liking, so jumping over advertising can be as simple as one push of a button to skip past an entire 3 minute ad break in less than 1/2 second.

I've got three Beyonwiz PVRs (all different models) and they are great. I had three Topfield PVRs before that, but the Beyonwiz really is the best PVR.
I've had beyondwiz PVRs for years and agree they are good.

I also subscribe to ICETV, which i find handy. They also have some good deals come out on PVRs
https://www.icetv.com.au

The only live TV I watch are sport and the ABC
peteru

Post by peteru »

Percel wrote:
peteru wrote: Beats a Tivo hands down, because it's not hobbled by Freeview limitations. .
What are the freeview limitations you speak of?>
To get the Freeview label on to a product, the device must NOT allow the user to do a number of things. These include:
* Freeview disallows the ability to skip to arbitrary points in your recording. i.e. no ad skip.
* Freeview limits the fast forward and rewind speeds.
* Freeview PVRs do not allow users to transfer recordings to PC without DRM or share them via network.

There's more to it than that, but those are the limitations that are most likely to be the most frustrating.

Post by peteru »

Coincidentally, I received a special offer today for some Beyonwiz deals, which makes a purchasing one of these pretty attractive...

http://dealspace.com.au/deal-of-the-wee ... gb-hdd-new

Post by filpee »

I rarely watch live tv. Have been using various PVR's over the last 4 or 5 years but currently using windows media center combined with 2 HD Homeruns.

I dont think you can get the Tivo box here anymore (was thinking of buying one to replace my mce) but a quick look online didn't turn anything up.

IceTV keep sending me specials, try them http://www.icetv.com.au/store but I dont keep up on pricing so unsure if they have anything at competitive pricing.
I eat vegetarians.

Post by I eat vegetarians. »

We use a Telstra T-Box.

It was offered to us for $1/month when we entered into a Bigpond Internet plan.
So easy to use. Record just one show or the entire series.
I thought at the time that we'd never use it ..we use it most every day!
Very handy for the exact situation u described.

Cheers,

Jay.
gasp

Post by gasp »

Or you could buy or build your own HTPC. Costs range depending on how high end you go but for that $500 budget compared to a Beyonwiz you have a full PC hooked up to your TV that offered limitless multimedia content which would include viewing of all internet content, music, pictures etc... Check out XBMC "http://xbmc.org/. I have on in the living room and use a raspbmc for the bedroom (which costs all up about $100 with all the extras).