Home Brewing

Anything else NON- BBQ
Joeka

Re: Home Brewing

Post by Joeka » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:31 pm

Yeah, I've been to the one at Kogarah. In fact, just earlier I was drinking an India Pale Ale & an English Bitter from kits bought there.

Kirrawee seems a bit bigger, maybe just because they're in an industrial estate, while the guy at Kogarah is in a regular old shopping strip.

You might as well go to Kogarah - he'll have all the stuff & advice you need, plus I want to make sure he stays in business as he's the closest to where I live ;)

There's also a Country Brewer place at Engadine - haven't been there yet but I made a really nice stout from a Country Brewer kit bought in Katoomba. As far as I know, they'd be the 3 shops most convenient to you, but keep it local & try Kogarah first. Stuff is bulky and/or heavy so internet ordering isn't cost effective - best to develop a relationship with somebody local.

food&fish

Post by food&fish » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:56 am

Biggest tip is dont have your beer fridge right next to the bbq normally when i bbq low and slow i end up 1/2 cut much to wifeys disgust

fishmilkshake

Post by fishmilkshake » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:22 am

Great hobby but takes up a lot of time and effort.
If you do it for the taste and experience, good homebrew flogs the store bought by miles.

Did homebrew for some time... drank too much beer.

A few years ago started distilling..... stopped about a year ago... drank too much spirits. :roll:
Home made spirits are far superior to store bought .... when you get it right, lots of learning, but it is really interesting stuff and no headaches.

If you start making spirits avoid the homebrew shops for everything except wood chips
You can make all you need with just sugar water yeast and grain from your local stockfeed place.
That's your base, from there you make whatever you need/want.
And yes that is an oversimplification :P

http://aussiedistiller.com.au/
http://homedistiller.org/forum/index.php
http://www.artisan-distiller.net/phpBB3/index.php

Still have litres of spirit slowly maturing, so every now and then :D :D :D

Cheers
FMS

jdonly1

Post by jdonly1 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:37 am

Have done beer but only do spirits now adays :wink:

Joeka

Post by Joeka » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:55 am

OK, having had another look, that forum's actually really good. Don't know why I reacted so badly against it before. Probably just drunk or something ;)

kendoll

Post by kendoll » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:24 pm

Popped in and saw Damian at What's Brewing today. Top bloke. He lives just down the road from me too. :)

They also sell the Misty Gully stuff so picked up some cherry wood chips and apple wood for the Amazen smoker. :D

Had a good chat about brewing and slow smoking, then picked up a starter kit. I was able to swap the standard lager from the kit for a Bavarian wheat too. 8)

Might give it a go tomorrow.

Ken
Ken

Gas on

Post by Gas on » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:43 pm

If your keen on the spirits there's plenty of good info on aussiedistiller
rum for me! :D

dales133

Home Brewing

Post by dales133 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:50 pm

I've had a play with making spirits infact I need to get back into it

barls

Post by barls » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:26 pm

just remember its only as hard as you want to make it.
happy to be an impartial judge or help with off flavours if you really need it. there is always the option to come and join me on an all grain brewday. last one i did was only 4.5 hours and the bloke learned a hell of a lot.
cheers barls

Joeka

Post by Joeka » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:57 am

Next piece(s) of equipment I'd strongly recommend would be a bottling tree (<$50) & pump action sanitising squirter to sit on top (around $30-40?).

These will make the whole bottle washing exercise much quicker & take up less space. Don't forget to give your empty (ie just drunk) bottles a good rinse out to get rid of the sentiment before you stash them away for the next bottling.

That forum now has me obsessing about making or buying a modified bar fridge to get my fermentation temperature exactly right. *sigh*

barls

Post by barls » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:19 am

you mean like this mate

Joeka

Post by Joeka » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:11 am

Hm, let me just run that past the minister of finances...

Unfortunately, I'm constrained by space - can't go the keg route unless I stick it in the garden shed, which would be too much hassle to pour a beer. Completely envious of your setup though.

kendoll

Post by kendoll » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:04 pm

barls wrote:just remember its only as hard as you want to make it.
happy to be an impartial judge or help with off flavours if you really need it. there is always the option to come and join me on an all grain brewday. last one i did was only 4.5 hours and the bloke learned a hell of a lot.
cheers barls
Haven't had a chance to give it a go yet. Hopefully in the next week or two.

Might just take you up on that offer of the brew day too.

Thanks.

Ken
Ken

barls

Post by barls » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:27 pm

no problem, pm me when interested

cdbrown

Post by cdbrown » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:22 pm

barls wrote:just remember its only as hard as you want to make it.
cheers barls
Wish my brew days were that quick. Well actually I wish I had more spare time so I could get some brews done.

Watching someone do a brew is a great way to learn and is even better when you ask questions. I remember my first brew having to go back to the pc to do various searches as I'd never watched anyone do one and of course the instructions provided aren't exactly the most detailed.