Dont pay retail!!!!!!!

Anything else NON- BBQ
shayneh2006

Dont pay retail!!!!!!!

Post by shayneh2006 »

If you can help it :lol: :lol:

I have been putting off buying a decent camera for along time. To date, i have been using a Fugi finepix A900 for all my BBQ/fishing photos and it has never let me down. Its been a bloody good camera and is still going strong, a good knock about but its time to move on...................

Soooo, i went to a Christmas party on the weekend and was checking out my Sisters Canon DSLR 550D (Canons older model now) and was liking what i was looking at. Sunday, i almost bought one from H Norman ($888.00) but decided to re-think that night and i am glad i did. Bassically, an SLR would not be practical for my needs.

Soooo, looking further, decided to look at a more compact style camera (similar in size to my Fugi) in the Canon G series,,, with my mind set on a G15. A bit of research online showed a lot of gray importers selling the camera at very low prices (mid to high $400's) and the local guys (digitalcamerawarehouse @ $557, JB HF @ $599, H Norman @ $650). Then i found an Ebay store (gray importer) selling it for $428 that had their listing worded really nice to my benefit 8) . I printed this off and headed to JB :lol: :lol: to see if it could be matched and,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, they did it :wink: :wink: for a saving of $171.00 :shock: :shock: with 12 months waranty. I couldnt believe my luck. BTW, its not JB HF's company policy to beat or even price match :oops:

I then bought a few bits and peices to go with it but still walked out of there with the total being $100 less than their list price.

And, i have been playing around with the camera tonight and WOW!!!!!, the picture quality is amazing :shock:

Never pay retail.

Ps, if anyone here is looking for an upgrade, i am happy to post a copy of the reciept for a straight walk in-walk out JB to JB price match :lol:

Shayne

Don't argue with idiots.. They'll bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
gnol

Re: Dont pay retail!!!!!!!

Post by gnol »

You were lucky they price matched.
I tried this on a couple of weeks ago with them and they would not budge.

Canon g15 at camera paradise $355.00 plus about $40 delivery.

I picked up a Canon PowerShot SX500 IS and Canon EF 100mm F2.8 L IS USM Macro lens for under half price here.

Highly recommended.
yakabot

Post by yakabot »

Retail prices are for lazy people who can't be bothered shopping around or the older generation that aren't very good with computers. My Dad is still shocked at how much I can save him on some things when I just look around a bit first.
dales133

Dont pay retail!!!!!!!

Post by dales133 »

I never pay retail if I'm spending money, get 3 written quotes and go from store to store and hammer them down
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

:oops:
You never herd of Static Ice?
Cheapest G15 I can find is $355
http://www.staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/sea ... es=1&pos=2

Past that link in your favourts, Its a good resourse :lol:
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
yakabot

Post by yakabot »

In regards to using that staticice link above, type on what you're looking for, leave a space and then type state:Vic and it gives results only for Vic shops.
paulr
Forum Administrator

Post by paulr »

Luv static ice although it used to be able to have better sort methods!!

Paul
http://aussiebbq.info/wp - my blog
https://lifesafeast.com.au/cookingclass ... criptions/ - great cooking classes
See Me, Feel Me, Touch Me, Beer Me.
dales133

Dont pay retail!!!!!!!

Post by dales133 »

Is there an ap for that..
beermee

Post by beermee »

I use an app on my iphone called Red Laser.... just scan a bar code and it will find the cheapest price on the internet of that product....

eg. walk into myer, scan cookbook, see that the online price is $30 less, buy online........
Note that: Gary is posting on the Aussie BBQ Forum as: 'SmokeKingBBQs' (as a vendor) and 'beermee' (as a personal account)

yakabot

Post by yakabot »

beermee wrote:I use an app on my iphone called Red Laser....
Thanks for that. There's also one for Android so I'm gonna grab it now and see how it goes.
shayneh2006

Post by shayneh2006 »

gnol wrote:Canon g15 at camera paradise $355.00 plus about $40 delivery.
Thats not a bad price but at the end of the day, its a grey import.
Smokey Mick wrote:Cheapest G15 I can find is $355
That was the same find as Gnol, Mick. Thanks for the link to Static though. I was actually looking on there last night and found that eglobal do the camera cheaper at $344.00 but its the postage where they hit you (four options ranging from $45.00 - $75.00). If you take the dearest option, it brings the purchase up to what i paid local. Everyone can make their own decsisions as to whats the best value but IMO, to have local waranty, to have it in your hand 15mins after walking out your front door, to have shop support if the thing is not working right from the start or is missing something, to have a charger that complies with Australian Standards (and not have to use a dicky Asian to Australin travel adapter :roll: :roll: ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I am happy with my buy :wink: :wink:

beermee wrote:I use an app on my iphone called Red Laser....
Thanks Beermee for that great advice. Unfortunatly, i havent got an iphone but i might get the missus to look into getting it on hers :wink:

Shayne

Don't argue with idiots.. They'll bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Hogsy

Post by Hogsy »

Just checked out that app red laser
The reviews didn't give it much of a wrap for use in Australia
Just wondering how well it works before I install it
Viva La Charcoal Revolution
Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member!
beermee

Post by beermee »

Hogsy wrote:Just checked out that app red laser
The reviews didn't give it much of a wrap for use in Australia
Just wondering how well it works before I install it
I find it useful - i guess it depends on what you're scanning and whether its available online....?
Note that: Gary is posting on the Aussie BBQ Forum as: 'SmokeKingBBQs' (as a vendor) and 'beermee' (as a personal account)

Snow

Dont pay retail!!!!!!!

Post by Snow »

I tried it this morning quickly after reading about it on here, I scanned random things in my room. Books it could find but some other stuff such as a pair of swimming goggles and a computer game it didn't work on. Very limited try out tho. Would have to give it a crack in the shops.