Showus ya Vegie garden

Anything else NON- BBQ
120ThingsIn20Years

Re: Showus ya Vegie garden

Post by 120ThingsIn20Years »

My little aquaponics system and some cherry tomatoes. the tomato plant is growing totally in water. ie no dirt or grow media. Just roots in a tub full of fish. The tomato grows through a half a metre of 90mm PVC before it sees sunlight on the outside of the growhouse because there's not enough room in there for tomatoes in summer. I'm planning an epic solar powered adventure down the mightly murray river as soon as I get organised, and this bunch of tomato plants will be one of my sources of salad. It's easy to transplant something from a fishtank into the Murray without disturbing roots :)
120 Things in 20 years - Aquaponics - External Tomato.JPG
120 Things in 20 years - Aquaponics - External Tomato.JPG (40.84 KiB) Viewed 5249 times
One of the nutrient engines destined for the smoker (silver perch (and the reason I found this wonderful website))...
120 Things in 20 years - Aquaponics - Silver perch.jpg
120 Things in 20 years - Aquaponics - Silver perch.jpg (22.58 KiB) Viewed 5249 times
Some prized produce...
120 Things in 20 years - Cherry tomatoes 1sm.jpg
120 Things in 20 years - Cherry tomatoes 1sm.jpg (23.79 KiB) Viewed 5249 times
My skills include being able to move slowly forward in time, and if I really concentrate, I can sometimes tell what I'm thinking.
NotoriousPIG

Post by NotoriousPIG »

120ThingsIn20Years wrote:My little aquaponics system and some cherry tomatoes. the tomato plant is growing totally in water. ie no dirt or grow media. Just roots in a tub full of fish. The tomato grows through a half a metre of 90mm PVC before it sees sunlight on the outside of the growhouse because there's not enough room in there for tomatoes in summer. I'm planning an epic solar powered adventure down the mightly murray river as soon as I get organised, and this bunch of tomato plants will be one of my sources of salad. It's easy to transplant something from a fishtank into the Murray without disturbing roots :)
One of the nutrient engines destined for the smoker (silver perch (and the reason I found this wonderful website))...
Some prized produce...
As soon as I get my own house I'm going to crank one of those aquaponics set ups!!!!
donburke wrote:to answer your question "what can be better"
beer & bbq is pretty darn good, but still comes in 2nd to hookers and toot
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

Last Summers Garden in Virginia, tomatos, pole beans, beets, Sweet Corn, Cucumber and Melon!

This years garden on 1/8 acre in Las Vegas! 2 tomatos, 2 Bell Peppers, and one cucumber!

I guess 200 acres (not sure if you all go by hectares? 81) does make a difference! :shock:
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

120ThingsIn20Years

NotoriousPIG wrote:
120ThingsIn20Years wrote:My little aquaponics system and some cherry tomatoes. the tomato plant is growing totally in water. ie no dirt or grow media. Just roots in a tub full of fish. The tomato grows through a half a metre of 90mm PVC before it sees sunlight on the outside of the growhouse because there's not enough room in there for tomatoes in summer. I'm planning an epic solar powered adventure down the mightly murray river as soon as I get organised, and this bunch of tomato plants will be one of my sources of salad. It's easy to transplant something from a fishtank into the Murray without disturbing roots :)
Some prized produce...
As soon as I get my own house I'm going to crank one of those aquaponics set ups!!!!

We are in a rental. One of the best things about aquaponics is that you can do it on concrete and there's no need to dig up any lawn or garden space.

And the fish.

The fish are pretty cool as well. It's nice to be a protein farmer in a rental back yard :)
My skills include being able to move slowly forward in time, and if I really concentrate, I can sometimes tell what I'm thinking.
gnol

Post by gnol »

A bit of spinach I harvested in early November. :lol:

Nath

Showus ya Vegie garden

Post by Nath »

A bit tight for space in my courtyard so I built this for herbs etc. Works great!

Nath
Nath
chriso

Post by chriso »

That's awesome! I've been thinking of doing something similar as we have a tiny backyard. No veggies yet but the herb collection is growing.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
travelling_gerry

Post by travelling_gerry »

My low maintenance hydroponics.

Not home much so I need it to be fool (read wife) proof as possible.

Nath

Showus ya Vegie garden

Post by Nath »

Love to have an aquaponics setup one day! Do you stock any fish?

Nath
Nath
120ThingsIn20Years

Busio90 wrote:Love to have an aquaponics setup one day! Do you stock any fish?

Nath
Was that to me?

I'll answer anyway :)

I stock silver perch, but a lot of people stock trout over winter and barramundi over summer. If you buy them as fingerlings you can grow them to plate size (around 500g) so you see two harvests a year.

I'm not sure on the rules for links here, so PM me and I'll link you to some decent free information (not affiliated with me in any way)
gnol

Post by gnol »

Here is some of mine this year after the great heatwave we have had so far...lol

gnol

Post by gnol »

Zorba

Post by Zorba »

i find that a little disturbing.
gnol

Post by gnol »

Yes she has not been too successful with the naked look.

I tried her with some cloth a couple of years back but she was still not good at scaring birds of.

What is really disturbing is when I forget about her and walk into her in the dark.
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

Cant wait for planting season to get here...Back in Virginia, so back to large garden!
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!